INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Shave like a real man  (Read 712 times)

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
Shave like a real man
« on: January 10, 2015, 10:26:00 PM »
I got started on one of the items on my "new things to try this year" list today.  This will be my first folder of any kind, so I decided to keep it simple.  It's rough ground right now.  I'll probably tweak the profile a little, then heat treat and do a little hand sanding.  I made a cardboard template for the handle to get the shape and pin locations like I want them. The handle is traced on the bocote slightly oversized.  I went ahead and drilled the pin holes because it's easier to hold the larger board when drilling.  Ill cut it out then split the scales on my bandsaw, but I probably won't be able to work on this one for a while.  My bandsaw blade is shot and I'm not sure when I'll be able to pick up another one.  Anyway, here's what I have for now.  The center pin will act as a stop for the blade when closed.  You can see in the second picture how it will line up when closed.  I didn't line the hinge pin holes up just right for the picture, but you get the general idea.  Like I said, this is my first one, so if anybody that has done one of these has any tips before I get any farther, feel free to share.

Matt

Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline bjansen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shave like a real man
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 07:54:00 AM »
Excellent. This is something I would like to try this year as well. Looking forward to this one.

Offline Track

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 11:42:00 AM »
Nice! Ought to work real well. Show pics when you're done.

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 04:30:00 PM »
Really neat. Looking forward to this.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©