INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: skill saw blade  (Read 553 times)

Offline KeithG

• Trad Bowhunter
skill saw blade
« on: February 03, 2015, 08:32:00 PM »
I'm making a knife out of a skill saw blade. would you heat treat in cooking oil or leave it like it is?

Offline D.Ellis

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: skill saw blade
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 12:17:00 AM »
It's tough to say how it should be treated since it's next to impossible to know what the steel is. If it has carbide teeth it may not even have a very high carbon content.
I'm not saying don't bother with it, but working with known steel would be far easier and more likely to result in a good blade.

If you want to continue I'd recommend taking a scrap of the blade and heating it to non magnetic with a torch.......go one shade brighter(hotter) and quench it in veggie oil. Try to file it and see if the file slides off. If a good sharp file(new chainsaw file's are cheap and work well for this)will not touch it, then put it in the kitchen oven at 375*F for an hour........try the file again. If it is still too hard put it back in the oven at 400*F for an hour........try the file again. keep going up 25* at a time until the file will just start to bite. Write that temperature down! Now take the piece and put it in a vice and grip it with a pair of vice grips and break it in 2. Was is hard to break? Look at the grain structure......is it very fine(almost milky looking) or is it very grainy looking?

If, at the end of this, you have a fine grain structure in a piece of steel that is tough to break, congratulations.......do the same exact treatment for your knife blade(minus the breaking part of course    :D   )
Good luck.
Darcy    :campfire:
60# GN Lil'Creep Jackknife
67# osage selfbow
62# "Zang Hill" string follow

Offline KeithG

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: skill saw blade
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 08:26:00 PM »
Thanks. Keith

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement