INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Your First  (Read 1936 times)

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
Your First
« on: March 02, 2015, 10:25:00 AM »
I am usually good for an hour or two a day of looking at knives online weather it be at home or in my car. Not just here, I frequent 2 other largely knife centered forums. One thing that I have observed is that some if not THE best smiths frequent this forum.

I appreciate the generosity of knowledge shared here as well as just a free peak at your inspiring creations. My hat is off to you all.

I cannot begin to point out the rise in talent from some of you as witnessed here in your progression from your early, beginning posts to what many of you have become in the way of blade smiths. I think it would be great to see a bunch of you post photos of your earliest Trad Gang knife submissions. I don't think it would be bragging on your behalf but more than anything it might be inspiration to get some folks in the game of creating their own knives.

Offline Sam Harper

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Your First
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 01:15:00 AM »
Here's my very first knife.

And here's some of my most recent ones.

I've made 27 knives so far, and I'm working on 28 and 29 right now.
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 05:26:00 AM »
Looking real good Sam, from 1st to last.

Offline KSCATTRAPR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 08:16:00 AM »
Cool Idea. Here is my first, Made in 2010.

Here is my 100th knife made in the spring of 2014. Knife making is addicting and frequenting this forum doesn't help the addiction. There is a wealth of knowledge that can be learned here and everyone is more than willing to help guys out and share information. Great place!

Offline Bodork

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 09:16:00 AM »
First 2 I made were Helle blades.

Look at this beauty! Handle size and shape fits the blade perfectly! HaHa!

This is my first stock removal knife:

And a more recent knife:

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 10:56:00 AM »
I was going to let this go by but it wont be fair. I made my first knife in 1983. One of my boys was a baby and I did not know much at all about making a knife. I just did what I thought I ought to do. I couldn't afford to buy one and wanted to give it a try. It don't look like much but I carried it a lot of miles and skinned elk and deer with it. It started as a planer blade as they often do. I ground it with a 3 X 24 belt sander held upside down with my bare foot through the handle. I have not held it in years. I just realized it is a mortised/hidden tang handle. I didn't even know the term back then.

The pins are nails and the wood is white oak. Just something I had. I made the sheath too. I remember how good it felt after it was done.

I was pretty proud. That's why I try to help anyone I can.

"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 12:13:00 PM »
This is an interesting thread. I got my start with a weekend visit to a guy's shop where he showed me the basics of forging and knife making. This was the knife from that trip.

After I got home and made a forge, found an anvil and all bought some files, I made this one. It was my first knife pretty much on my own.

And some more recent stuff:

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 01:25:00 PM »
Great stuff fellas, just what I wanted to see. It gives folks hope and inspiration. I don't believe that just anyone can do it but for those that have a desire to make beautiful, useful knives this may be the push needed to begin.

Offline DANA HOLMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 06:18:00 PM »
This is one of the first one i did, My Dad still carry's it today.

This is the last one i made

"When Satan is knocking at your door,
Simply say,

"Jesus, could you get that for me?"

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 10:02:00 PM »
I don't have any pictures of the first couple I ground from a bar, but this is the first knife I forged.

I made this one in a Hugh Bartrug blade forging class and i believe it was the last class he taught before suffering a stroke which ended his forging career.

It's my first forged blade made with a piece of antler from my younger son's first whitetail buck.

Not much to look at, but it carries some memories.

60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 10:08:00 PM »
This is a lousy picture, but a later knife I made for a Safari Club International fund raiser about 4 years ago. This year, the guy who bought it came up to me and asked me if I would re-sharpen it for him. Really does a guy good to know his knife is being used and not tucked away in a drawer somewhere. That handle (which you can't see much of) is a piece of ostrich leg bone. I was shocked how thick those things are. No wonder they have a reputation for being pretty tough kickers.

Found a second picture (not much better) showing the whole knife.

60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 12:51:00 AM »
Way back in about 87 or 88  ;)  this was my first from an old sawmill blade. I was welding for a living then and actually tig welded the guard and butt plate on. The thing seemed like it weighed about 3 pounds.  ;)   used it a couple years on several critters.

Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline Kevin Evans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 09:29:00 AM »
this was my first ,went out to shed and ground out of old file heat treated much to my surprise it got real  sharp with 4" grinder   seems like a long time ago  

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 10:27:00 AM »
I started April 03, 2005 11:55 AM when I sent a PM to a fellow Trad Gang member about learning how to forge a knife.  I only knew him by reading his hunting posts and purchasing one of his caper knives...Doug Campbell.  He taught me through PMs on Trad Gang before there was even a Knife Forum!  I had sooo many questions and Doug answered them all.

I kept all his PMs...here's a funny reply on my first attempt to buy steel from Kelly Couples and asking how much I should purchase...

"Hmmm... Depends on how serious your gonna get I guess. I think if you order $25 worth he'll ship free which can add up on steel."

Doug was great always encouraging even when they looked like crap.  It has been a fun journey.  It is so nice to see extremely talented bladesmiths doing the same thing here for newbies.

My firsts compared to my Campbell Caper.  I wish I still had one of those as I gave almost everything away (I still have Doug's Caper).  Even though they looked like crap, they did skin a bear  :)  

Thanks Doug...tippit

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Sam Harper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2015, 09:15:00 AM »
Bodork, that sure is a pretty piece of walnut you have on that last knife!
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2015, 08:39:00 PM »
Ok, I'll play.  I made a fair few from kit blades when I first started that I don't have pictures of right now.  My profile picture is actually my first knife where I made the blade as well, I believe it was early 2012.  It's 1095 and stabilized amboyna burl.  The first one below is from later that same year, 1084 and whitetail antler.  Both were hollow ground on a 6" bench grinder with an 80 grit grinding wheel.  Then several hours of hand sanding to get the grinding marks out.  

These two are a couple of my most recent ones from fall/winter 2014.  Both are 1084 and koa.  I made the sheaths that are pictured as well.  

Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2015, 03:21:00 PM »
Awesome stuff fellas!

Offline Fallguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2015, 08:38:00 PM »
Still working on mine I will post when I Have the handles done.
"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught" Baba Dioum  Conservationist

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2015, 09:59:00 PM »
Great Idea Izzy.

I am loving this thread!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2015, 07:38:00 PM »
Yep!  I have more knives than bows currently and most from this site.  This forum has all the typical and desirable attributes found in other forums.  Trad Gang... where knowledge is shared!
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©