INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Using micarta for scales  (Read 815 times)

Offline hogless

• Trad Bowhunter
Using micarta for scales
« on: March 02, 2015, 10:00:00 PM »
I am using micarta for scales . I have never used it before what is the best way to cut it and is the dust toxic

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Using micarta for scales
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 10:44:00 PM »
You can cut it on a bandsaw, like wood. I wear a respirator when working with most stuff in the shop, whether I'm grinding on metal, wood, or something like Micarta or G10. I've heard some say the fumes that can come from Micarta when it gets hot during grinding can be bad-don't know how true that is. What I do know is the more foreign objects I can keep from inhaling, the better it is for my lungs. What kind of Micarta did you get (paper, linen, canvas)? I have some black paper Micarta that I've worked a bit, but haven't finished them out yet.

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Offline hogless

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 07:05:00 AM »
I found a piece in a barn it has a weave in it and it is brown it is 3x3x16 I am using and old file for a blade I am going to make a drop point hunter.    Thanks Jimmy

Offline hogless

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 07:58:00 AM »
I found a piece in a barn it has a weave in it and it is brown it is 3x3x16 I am using and old file for a blade I am going to make a drop point hunter.    Thanks Jimmy

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 08:28:00 AM »
What color is it?  Sounds like maybe burlap if it has a weave pattern.  Remember that with micarta, you are actually getting two types of dust, dust from the resin and dust from whatever the layers are made of (linen, paper, burlap, carbon fiber, etc.), as well as possible fumes from the resin as it heats up.  Carbon fiber will make you itch like crazy and some others may as well, not sure because I haven't used it much, but it wouldn't hurt to cover as much skin as possible.  If you go slow cutting and shaping so that it doesn't get hot, it'll mainly be dust and a dust mask would probably be sufficient.  If shaping on a belt grinder, you might want to get a respirator to help with the fumes.  You can get one for around $20 at a home improvement store so I'd recommend it just to be safe.  Also, if you do most of your shaping before attaching the scales to the blade, you can keep the micarta wet to help keep the dust down.  Soapy water works better than plain water.
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline hogless

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 05:01:00 AM »
Thanks Tom it is brown I will get a respirator because I am going to be grinding it on a belt sander and the soapy water trick sounds good too

Offline ALW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 10:06:00 AM »
You found it in a barn?  How old is it?  The reason I ask is I've seen some stuff similar to what you described that was brown weaved that I believe was a type of asbestos insulating material for electrical boxes. Probably not the same stuff but be careful.

Aaron

Offline hogless

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 09:00:00 PM »
Thanks Arron I have decided not to use it .I have ordered some micarta scales from a knife supply co

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 10:44:00 AM »
Apart from the horrible stink when you grind it and the danger of inhaling the dust, the stuff really makes great handles for a "hard use" knife. It comes about as close to indestructible as you can get in anything short of a solid steel knife.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©