INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: What ONE! knife reflects you?  (Read 2094 times)

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
What ONE! knife reflects you?
« on: November 22, 2015, 01:49:00 PM »
That's just something I thought about when I was out working today.
I have a customer in England who had a knife coming up on my order list. And he asked that I try to duplicate a knife I made in 2010 - 5 years ago - that he bought.
And as I get my "head" in order to undertake that project, I recalled that many times I have reflected upon THAT knife as being one that truly  demonstrates my knife making personality.
So, if I may, whether you have been making knives for 1 year or 10, would you post up the one knife that, regardless of what others have told you, you feel reflects you as a maker?
I can still feel this knife in my hand - 5 years later:

When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.
Chief Joseph

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What ONE! knife reflects you?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 06:42:00 PM »
This is going to be a great thread.

I love using high quality, high carbon rasps for knives. This is the one so far that I feel has really come together for me as a package including the leather and the first one I actually assembled using a pre-drawn blue print.

There are quite a few improvements I know I can make to elevate my knives like shaping the pummel to the antler instead of the antler to the pummel, making sure my flats don't smile and a host of others like extra burneshing on the sheath belt loop (which I fixed as soon as these pictures highlighted that problem). It doesn't come close to comparing to the tallent that is bound to show up in this thread, starting with your beauty Karl. My knife don't even hardly deserve to be in the same thread.

The worst thing in my oppinion about this whole hobby and business is practice rarely makes perfect. Several of you J.S. and M.S.makers sure can do it though. We can only do our best and hope to continue to get better.

Thanks for posting this thread,

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 09:18:00 PM »
That knife looks right at home laying next to the Hawken. (I got one just like it.)
I didn't ask for people's most elaborate or fancy knife - just the one that reflects your vision.
And that's a great example right there.
Chief Joseph

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 10:15:00 PM »
Hmmmmm.... This is an interesting thread to me. I'm not sure I've ever specifically asked myself what I want my knives to reflect. I know I've had strong feelings as I've gone along. I have a very real desire to make usefulness meet beauty. And to make that meeting seamless.

I'm a long ways from where I'd like to be. Probably like many here. But, I suppose this one has been one I think of most in answering your question, Karl. There are still problems with it, but based on where I currently am in my skill set, it's probably the best example of what I'd like my work to reflect.

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 08:26:00 AM »
I have several that I like but this one has some of the features I dreamed up all in one knife.

"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 09:31:00 AM »
Lin, a person could lift that knife up across the room and I would know who made it.
To hold it would be almost like talking to you.
Chief Joseph

Offline KSCATTRAPR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 10:54:00 AM »
Cool thread Karl, I would say one of my last knives I made reflects me and what I like to make. It's simple and functional but yet still looks somewhat halfway decent, at least to me it does. I like to leave a little scale on the knife blade, I know that's not for everyone but it appeals to me.

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 07:11:00 PM »
You guys cannot realize how envious people like me are.Wish I had the patience and skills shown here.
Terry
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 07:18:00 PM »
Terry-

Anyone who has their own business has an enormous amount of patience and to stay in business means skill  :) . Guys like Lin and Karl are fairly easily badgered into giving all kinds of help to the rest of us. Many here started out as thinking they couldn't make their own knife. I say go for it  ;) . If you want to give it a try, let me know if I can help you out at all. Would be happy to send you some steel and handle material and other supplies.

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 10:30:00 PM »
Shoot, I'll play along, although I feel like I'm bringing a knife to a gun fight...er, you get the picture.     :)     Anyway, I love interpreting the colonial and early American period. I forged the knife below in the blacksmith shop at Fort Atkinson State Historical park where I serve, although not always in the forge.  The building, forge, anvils, and post vises all sit atop where the originals (1820-1827) were excavated.  One of the anvils is a restored original contemporary to the period, too.  This folder was one of the first I built by starting with a drawing, which forced me to think about a lot of things I hadn't considered before.  

It's a long ways from perfect, but if my great-great grandchildren could inherit any knife I've made to date, I 'spose this would be the one.

"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 08:36:00 AM »

Offline akaboomer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 11:53:00 AM »
Of the ones I have made it would be this one.

Chris

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2015, 07:50:00 AM »
Jeremy
Wish I had the time.The Nocking Point keeps me hopping.
Terry
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline 92Fspc4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2015, 04:57:00 PM »
So far the knife that is me is the last one I built and the one I'm doing next so it changes but this one is it for now.  Not the prettiest but I remember guys in deer camp when I was a Kid carrying butcher knives and this reminds me of those days except for the file teeth.
 http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah26/richardreiser2000/006_zpsrj8hheyh.jpg?1448834235657&1448834236663

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2015, 07:39:00 AM »
You guys are beyond talented, very beautiful work by all.   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2015, 09:33:00 AM »
I'd have to go with a Kesslar Brut de Forge style knife as he has been such an influence on my bladesmithing.  Joe...Thanks & Wishing you a speedy recovery.  tippit

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Online Bigriver

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2015, 06:42:00 PM »
Awesome talent on here, beautiful stuff.
This is my fav I made, hope to get back to making some soon.

c
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Steve Nuckels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2015, 08:03:00 PM »
I think this knife captures what I like in a knife!  I forged this a few years ago and it has all the details I like.  I'm very proud of this one.

Steve
---------
Potomac Forge
Member, W.F. Moran Fundation
ABS Apprentice Smith

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2015, 08:16:00 AM »
Beautiful work being shown.

Steve, that a knock out.    :campfire:
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2015, 10:48:00 AM »
This is a cool thread.  I've tried several different types of knives over the last few years trying to find what style really suited me.  I've tried small hunters to large forged bowies; hidden and full tangs; wood, antler/bone, and synthetic handle materials; and various finish techniques.  My latest knife represents pretty well, the type of knife I have come to like the most, both for personal use and from a maker's perspective.  It's a little full tang hunter and is a good all around size for most jobs at 8 3/8" long.  It looks like it is meant to be working out in the woods or on the ranch.  It has nice looking, but not overly fancy wood scales.  There's nothing shiney anywhere on it to create a glare while hunting.  The etched finish is tougher with heavy use than a hand rubbed finish.  And even with all of these somewhat dull features, it still manages to be a nice classy looking knife.  I've learned a lot over the last few years from you guys on this site about designing and building a knife that is both practical and attractive.  Everything, including the blade and handle profiles, the materials used, and finishing techqiques have to work together to make the whole package come out just right.  Just for fun, and to show how far I've come, I'm including a picture I dug out of one of the first knives I built by myself from start to finish.  It's from around 2011, so not really very long ago.  It was poorly designed, poorly executed, blocky, uncomfortable, and just all around bad.  A lot of the credit for my progress belongs to you guys.  Thank you.

Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©