INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 80crv2 heat treat  (Read 2881 times)

Offline Frank Novak

• Trad Bowhunter
80crv2 heat treat
« on: October 08, 2016, 10:23:00 AM »
I would appreciate information on heat treating and temper on this steel. Thanks

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 80crv2 heat treat
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 08:15:00 AM »
80CrV2 is basically a simple 1080 with some added chromium and vanadium. Done well, it's an awesome blade steel.
Pretty easy process - soak at austenizing temp of around 1500+ for a couple minutes if possible, to dissolve all the alloy and quench in a fast oil like Parks 50.
If fully hardened, a double one hour temper at 400 will give a 60 HRC.
When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.
Chief Joseph

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 08:59:00 PM »
Karl's pretty well got it. I hold mine at austenizing temp like he describes in my salt pot and I quenched in Parks 50. File skated off the steel after the quench. I did 2, 2 hour tempers, but at a bit lower temp than Karl listed. The knife I posted is my first finished blade in the steel, so I'm really curious for how it performs. I've heard a lot of good things about it-with the right edge geometry and heat treat, of course. Good luck and be sure to post up what you come up with.

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Offline Frank Novak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 10:23:00 AM »
Thank you both for your replies. Seems like there are different temps to quench and temper from what Ive been reading. The temps Ive read about are 1545-1615 for 5 minutes and temper at 200 for 2 hrs for a 60 rc. A friend who is a knife maker is doing the work and Im sure he knows the temps needed. I just want to make sure what is correct.So all the help is appreciated. I make bows and in the beginning it was a pain. Making a good knife is right up there with it.Practice,practice and more practice.

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 11:15:00 AM »
Hopefully Karl or someone else will jump in with a correction if I'm wrong, but I believe 200 F for tempering is too low to do much for you. I think the lowest I've heard of some makers go is in the 300 range somewhere. Also, I'd have to go out to the shop, but I believe my austenizing temp I held the blade at was on the lower end of what you mention.

I started off on this site building my own bow, then found this sub forum and got hooked. Building a good bow is a heck of a feat-I applaud your skills. But as you said, some practice and repetition go a long ways  :) .

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 10:14:00 PM »
Some references do show a higher austenizing temp than many use.
However, those same references show 400 tempering temps for a 60 rockwell.
350 should give you around a 62 if the blade was fully hardened.
200 is just too low no matter what.
The added chromium and vanadium are your friends and make this steel very tough even in thin sections.
In fact, with the added chromium alloy, it should be pretty deep hardening and maybe even a slower oil would work.
I would use a blade shaped piece and harden like you want. Break it without tempering and check the grain under the best magnification you can muster.
If you can see the grain, lower the austenizing temp and/or shorten the time.
Report your findings!!!!
When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.
Chief Joseph

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©