Author Topic: Long String Draw Weight vs Braced  (Read 1589 times)

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
Long String Draw Weight vs Braced
« on: August 31, 2008, 02:24:00 PM »
On my current project I have long strung the bow to just under a normal brace higth (approx 6") to see how even the bend is.  Satisfied with that I checked the weight of the bow while pulling the limbs the same distance.  It is not too much less, 4 or 5 lbs., than what I want in a finished bow at full draw.  It appears to me that this needs quite a bit of belly removal, or trapping the boo on the back.  What should I expect in weight if it were to be braced with a short string as it is?  I have a tendency to get too agressive with a heavy bow and turn it into a kid's bow.  So if you can give me an better idea of what I should expect I would really appreciate it.
Christopher

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Long String Draw Weight vs Braced
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 02:29:00 PM »
I would think the braced weight would be similar to the long string weight...the tiller won't.  Is your tiller even at 6"? If so, go ahead and brace it low, 3" to 4" and check tiller first and if it is OK then check your weight.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 06:17:00 PM »
There isn't a lot of difference in long string compared to short, as long as the long string isn't too long, the leverage changes as the string gets longer and that can foll ya. I try to keep my long tiller string as short as I can.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 09:23:00 PM »
I use this method. I tiller out to 10 in. with the long string and check weight with a scale. I never draw more than 5# pastfinal target weight.  At 10 inches of string movement with the long string the stave will be 10# over target weight. More on my site. Jawge
 http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni/

Offline Ken Allen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 10:00:00 PM »
George, Would that method work with a deflex/reflex bow also?
Ken Allen

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 09:32:00 AM »
Ken, yes, I go further than the 10 inches for the reflex. If the reflex is 2 inches I'll long string to 12 inches. It gets me in the ball park so that the stave is not too heavy to be strung. Jawge

Offline Ken Allen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 11:14:00 AM »
Thanks Jawge, I will give it a try on my next bow.
Ken Allen

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 09:48:00 AM »
6" is my normal brace height.  I can't imagine you'll see any difference between 6" and 7" brace.  When I think long string, I am talking a loose string.  That makes a difference but I only use it to accomplish 16" or so of bend at 10# less than my desired draw weight (usually judged v. measured).  At that point, I brace to 3" and tiller from there with it strung.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 02:34:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I've learned that my long string was way too long.  Once shortened up it has made the job much better.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 09:15:00 PM »
I've never found long string length to be an issue at a string movement of 10 inches.  Jawge

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 11:43:00 PM »
I use a long string only to get a bow to a low brace height(3" to 4"). After that only the brace height changes as the tillering process continues.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 12:00:00 AM »
You all need to attach your bow scale to your tillering board.That way you can see your weight and draw leanth at the same time.Never draw 5#s over your intended weight.Tiller your limbs down to your draw leanth never going over your weight.This way theres no guessing and no stressing.You end up with the right weight and draw leanth EVERY TIME.
   This way you can tiller past where you think your brace height.Brace your bow with out going over your intended weight.
   Boy dose that sound weird but it works/
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 12:01:00 AM »
You all need to attach your bow scale to your tillering board.That way you can see your weight and draw leanth at the same time.Never draw 5#s over your intended weight.Tiller your limbs down to your draw leanth never going over your weight.This way theres no guessing and no stressing.You end up with the right weight and draw leanth EVERY TIME.
   This way you can tiller past where you think your brace height.Brace your bow with out going over your intended weight.
   Boy dose that sound weird but it works/
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 09:05:00 PM »
When you talk about long string, how long are you talking. i am thinking, and have used a string that is basically the same length as the ntn distance, therefore no bending to string it. With this method would you say that pulling the string to the 10" notch on the tiller stick was right or are you talking about the bend in the limbs being 10". Hope this isn't too confusing of a question, but just gave myself a headache.

:knothead:    :banghead:
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 10:36:00 PM »
I actually time it so I don't even hit my intended draw weight until 24-25 inches. Then at 26 inches I'm 3-5 # over. Gives me sanding room though my bows f=don't require much sanding because after I string the stave I use my Swedish push knife as a scraper.  I use a Hanson Hand Held scale. The weight registers and stays so I can read it after I let down. Of course, I use a tillering tree. Jawge

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2009, 11:33:00 PM »
When using a long string I go until the tips have moved 6" to 8" and if everything is OK I brace the bow at 4" to see how everything lines up.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©