Author Topic: Tight Clamps & The Results  (Read 915 times)

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
Tight Clamps & The Results
« on: September 17, 2008, 02:52:00 PM »
Thought I would share this latest learning experience.  It is, was, a R/D Boo, Osage, Osage tri lam with an ash power lamb, ash and osage handle.  I've been shooting it for nearly a month to see if it would be my 2008 arrow flinger for deer.  The other evening I decided to shoot it once more before final sanding, sealing and applying the shelf/riser appointments.
I had made up my mind to finish it up that night as it was shooting very pleasant.  That was until the big splinter/crack happened.  

Instantly, I knew what the culpret was:  The nodes were directly on the ends of the power lam.  I really poured the TB3 to it on glue up and wratcheted the C clamps down hard to close the gap right there.  Cannot blame the glue.  Upon inspection there is an appearant area starved out due to over pressure.  If I were to rethink this project the best thing would have been to change out the power lam for a longer one to extend well past the nodes.  
Looks like I will be using my F/G LB for the season opener.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tight Clamps & The Results
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 03:04:00 PM »
sorry to see that what a thing to happen.  :banghead:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline tim-flood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 11:28:00 AM »
toothing plane

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 05:59:00 PM »
I feel for ya' been there. Tim is right, hack saw blade works pretty good if you don't have a toothing plane.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©