Author Topic: Band Saw Blade??  (Read 1015 times)

Offline foamer01

• Trad Bowhunter
Band Saw Blade??
« on: September 17, 2008, 08:28:00 PM »
Just wondering if anyone would have any advice on a Band Saw Blade that would hold up to epoxy and fiberglass. Seems like I can only cut out about 1 or 2 bows before the teeth are pretty well chewed up. I am using PS Timberwolf Blades. I wonder if I should be using a different method for cutting out my bows. Thanks for your help.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Band Saw Blade??
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 08:45:00 PM »
That is a lot longer than mine last!  I've heard the carbide tipped blades will last a good long while cutting glass, but they are pricey ($130).
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 09:30:00 PM »
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline Dave521

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 02:14:00 AM »
there is a blade that I have used for cutting fiberglass and epoxy in other applications, it's not really a wod blade, it is actually for ceramic tile but work great and I have gotten much better life expectancy than a regular type blade.

Here is a link to one that should work
 http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/proworkcn/product-detailoMzJWklVYPhm/China-Diamond-Edge-Band-Saw-Blade.html

Also contact mebran.com they could tell you what would work best for that

Offline Glenn Newell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 02:28:00 AM »
I started out using the band saw to rough out my limbs but gave that away as a bad joke. The best thing I have ever used is a portable electric planner with tungsten blades. Cuts fibreglass and epoxy like butter and you get a lot of bows out of one set of blades, and blades are cheap anyway. I just rough it out near the line and finish off with the linisher. The electric planner does not heat the limb up either which is a big bonus, have to ware a mask though...Glenn...

Offline elkslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 12:14:00 PM »
LOOK LOOK, I talked to the master, and he gave me his inside scoop on the Bandsaw blades. You get them at General Tool. Portland OR and the blade He gets is Type N and four teeth per inch and then of course your length and I paid less than 13.00 per blade. They are awesome blades and last for ever so it seems. I am not kidding. I just ripped a tun of Ipe and it is still as sharp at it was when I put it on. If they don't do mail order I will hook you up and you pay for it and will call it and I will pick it up and send it your way. I am sure they mail tho but just in case. Good luck

Offline Glenn Newell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 05:14:00 PM »
I have had a lot of trouble trying to get a proper ripping blade for my bandsaw. A proper blade for ripping does not have a point it or a lot of set but that does vary from hardwood and pine, a ripping blade has a chisel tooth especially for hardwood. A chisel tooth is less likely to wander and will track a lot straighter when ripping. They always want to sell me some U-Beaut corse combination blade but I have found them not to be as good as they could. I will find someone who will make me a chisel tooth ripping blade one day. I don't know why they aren't more available here as nearly all of the cutting a lot of people do is ripping, I hardly ever cross cut anything on the band saw...Glenn...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©