Author Topic: Need help with glass laminated take-down recurve.  (Read 1043 times)

Offline crumrw

• Trad Bowhunter
Need help with glass laminated take-down recurve.
« on: September 19, 2008, 09:55:00 AM »
I am new to tradgang, although I've been a lurker for awhile.  I have post a couple times in the knife making forum, but this is the first bow building post.  I am a college grad student at UT in Austin, TX and finally have the opportunity to take the wood shop class.  I will be doing a project with laminated wood so I chose to build a glass/wood laminated take-down recurve.  I know it's a little ambitious without any previous bow building experience, but I consider myself very detail oriented and am willing to take the risk.

With that being said, I will be milling my own laminations, but I was wondering if someone could point me to a good template to go by.

I have been reading all the threads on here about glass laminated bows, but I still have a few questions.

1.  Where do you buy the fiber glass that you use?  It looks thicker and more dense then the stuff you get at home depot.

2.  If there is a parallel lam, tapered lam and a wedge, what order do they go from back to belly.

3.  I'm aiming for 50-55# at 28' draw.  What thickness do I need to make the lams?  What degree of taper do I need on the tapered lams?

4.  Can I purchase the limb mounting hardware parts at a regular hardware store?

5.  What angle do I make the limb platforms on the riser?

6.  Are both limbs the same size?

7.  Do I assume that if the lams are milled precisely that they won't need any tillering?

8.  I have heard of several glues but what is the common "best" glue?  Do I have to use a hot box? I know this might start some controversy.

9.  What angle do I make the limb wedge pieces?

I'm sorry for introducing myself in this way, but I have wanted to do this for a long time and I finally have the opportunity.  I know that y'all are the experts and if there is any advice you can give me I will take it with open arms.  

I will post the process on here as well.  If anyone is in the Austin area and can give me some one on one pointers that would be awesome!! I'd bring the beer...

Offline hera

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need help with glass laminated take-down recurve.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 06:15:00 AM »
Bingham project can help all your question.

Offline crumrw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 09:00:00 AM »
Cool thanks, I just sent on for a catalog, should I call them?

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 10:10:00 AM »
Where do you buy the fiber glass that you use? It looks thicker and more dense then the stuff you get at home depot.

I have been buying my glass from Three Rivers Archery.  It comes in 72" lengths and either 1 1/2" or 2" wide.  I have been using .050 thickness, but will soon shift to .040.

2. If there is a parallel lam, tapered lam and a wedge, what order do they go from back to belly.

Can't help with the wedges, because I've only build one piece longbows.

3. I'm aiming for 50-55# at 28' draw. What thickness do I need to make the lams? What degree of taper do I need on the tapered lams?

Binghams has a chart on their website for starting lam thickness.  Taper is a matter of limb design.  Bighams should be able to help with some common design types.

4. Can I purchase the limb mounting hardware parts at a regular hardware store?  

Again Binghams is the best place for this.  The bezels have to be machined pretty specifically.

5. What angle do I make the limb platforms on the riser?

Varies by design.

6. Are both limbs the same size?

Sometimes.

7. Do I assume that if the lams are milled precisely that they won't need any tillering?

Yes, just minor tweaking is normally required.

8. I have heard of several glues but what is the common "best" glue? Do I have to use a hot box? I know this might start some controversy.

Smooth-on is the standard.  A hot box is normally recommended.  It will cure at room temp in about 24 hours, but is supposedly more resistant to future heat exposure if cured at 140-180 deg or so.

9. What angle do I make the limb wedge pieces?

Bighams can help here.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline crumrw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 10:43:00 PM »
Apex Predator,

Thanks so much.  That was definitely helpful.  Sounds like Binghams is the place.

Rick

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©