Author Topic: How much?  (Read 1031 times)

Offline KILLER B

• Trad Bowhunter
How much?
« on: September 19, 2008, 03:47:00 PM »
How much would you estimate that it would cost to get all the things needed to start making lamenated bows. (fiberglass, resin hardener, building a form) I half a huge pile of rough sawn osage in 2" boards that are anywhere from 10" wide to 20" wide and about 7 feet long.  I was planning on cutting some hickory for backings.  I also have access to several large straight as arrow Ash trees would they work for a backing?  But i have been romancing the idea of addding some veneers and glass to some.  My mind is spinning there are too many different things i can do.  That giant pile of yellow wood is making me crazy.  :knothead:
Sticks and stones break deer bones.
One final word -Ramalamashamjam-

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How much?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 05:27:00 PM »
If you are doing wood bows I think you would be a lot happier going with Bamboo for backing.
An R/D form for BBO would cost 'nothing' and no need for FG or hardener.
Hand tools, band saw and table saw, drill press, jointer, drum and disc sander, would save a lot of time.
Build a hot box.
You will need a tiller tree, bow scale and a variety of scrapers, rasps and files. Oh yeah some Urac 185..........what did I miss?

Offline KILLER B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 06:02:00 PM »
I have the saws.  And scrapers i have been makeing self bows for a while now. But I have all these boards and want to come up with a very elegant yet incredibly effective bow.  I could build a form and a hot box pretty easily.  I don't realy want to have to buy the bamboo at 19 to 27 dollars a piece.  Any one have any bow form directions or any ideas for laying one out for this type of bow.  I was thinking a mild r/d.

Offline rainman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 06:25:00 PM »
Fiberglass will cost more than bamboo.  Get the Madake bamboo from Dryad bows, they are sponsors.  If you go to Binghams you can get an idea what the fiberglass will cost.  Bamboo backed bows cancompete with fibergladd bows and are a lot more quiet if made properly.

Dan
Semper Fidelis
Dan Raney

Offline KILLER B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 07:00:00 PM »
Have any of you ever used Ash for a backing?  There's alot of talk about using bamboo and Hickory.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 12:46:00 AM »
There have been some nice ash backed yew bows over on the PA site. I have never used anything but bamboo for backing on laminated bows. I do have some smoothbark (pignut) hickory that I plan to saw for backing but have not done it yet.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©