Author Topic: Kentucky Coffee Tree  (Read 984 times)

Offline The Gopher

• Trad Bowhunter
Kentucky Coffee Tree
« on: September 19, 2008, 10:15:00 PM »
has anyone ever tried this for a bow? i was at the university of minnesota arboretum last weekend and saw a few of these, i guess they are native to minnesota. i would be curious to know more about the wood, but i don't think the arboretum would appreciate it if i brought a chainsaw with me next time. thanks,
"The future is, of all things, the thing least like eternity. It is the most temporal part of time, for the past is frozen and no longer flows, and the present is all lit up with eternal rays." ~C.S. Lewis

Offline mike mcguire

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kentucky Coffee Tree
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 10:32:00 AM »
I have , its not very good for bow wood its about like black walnut
if you can shoot over them, they ain't to far

Offline The Gopher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 01:08:00 PM »
thanks mike, that's what i needed to hear.
"The future is, of all things, the thing least like eternity. It is the most temporal part of time, for the past is frozen and no longer flows, and the present is all lit up with eternal rays." ~C.S. Lewis

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 10:44:00 PM »
Would it make pretty vaneers?  Chad

Offline Springbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 12:10:00 AM »
Some call black walnut darn good bow wood.

I have seen and heard of functional bows made from it, and I've seen staves for sale.  If you can get some for sweat equity, I'd try it.

Think longish, sorta wide-limbed pyramid with skinny tips.  That is where I always start experimenting..
42% of statistics are made up, and the other 62% are inaccurate.

Offline The Gopher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 11:22:00 PM »
I haven't seen any of the cut up wood only the trees. i actually bought some seeds when i was at the landscape arboretum for a quarter. Chad in 50 years i'll donate the trees to you if you make me a bow from them  :)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©