Author Topic: LIMB STACKING QUESTION  (Read 1040 times)

Offline EIGHTWGT

• Trad Bowhunter
LIMB STACKING QUESTION
« on: September 20, 2008, 06:18:00 PM »
Guys...

What elements of xlimb / bow design contribute to stacking ?  I am getting ready to build my second bow  and want a smooth draw that does xnot stack. I made a xreflex deflex xlongbow, and it stacks up... its fast but I hate shooting it...
My design will be a one piece recurve....
" Hunt like the Owl - move only your head and your eyes "

Offline tim-flood

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: LIMB STACKING QUESTION
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 10:12:00 AM »
IMHO stacking has a lot to do with string and nock angle when it approaches 90 deg it gets tougher, that is why recurves and bows with big sighs don't stack

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 10:52:00 AM »
What Tim said.  As the string angle at the tips approaches 90 degrees you start stacking.  Basically at that point you're trying to pull the tips straight back, rather than using the leverage at the tips to bend the limb.

It's why you can have a really short horse bow with large siyahs ("ears" that take up >30% of the limb) that doesn't stack out to 30" and why some 68" Hill-style bows will stack at 28" b/c of the ridiculous amount of taper in the limbs.  In the first case the angle doesn't approach 90 degrees, the second the angle reaches 90 quickly.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline DirtyDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 01:06:00 PM »
Hey, Tim, glad you are on this site.

Dan

Offline Glenn Newell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 04:08:00 PM »
Tom, did you make your rd longbow with all tapered laminations, very often this will contribute to stacking in longbows. The limbs bend far too much on the tips and not enough coming off the fades from the riser. If you did taper the laminations I would lay another one up with parallel laminations and I am sure you will find it to be a different bow. Recurves can stack badly as well for the same reason...Glenn...

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 07:46:00 PM »
8, making it a little longer, leaving the last 6 inches stiff, or reflexing the tips will cut down on stacking. Try the first 2 until you gain some experience. One other thing. A bow that is whip tillered will also stack. Make sure the bending starts at the end of the fades area. If you are building a bend in the handle bow make sure it doesn't bend too much in the handle. If it does it will stack and be shocky. There are  buildalongs on my site. Jawge
 http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni/

Offline Springbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 12:07:00 AM »
Have you been able to figure out why your R/D bow stacks?   One of the main advantages of the R/D profile is high early draw weight and less stack.

Follow George.  Lack of stack is all about leverage working to your advantage later in the draw.  The three things he mentioned all contribute to that.  For comparison, some things that make a bow stack are; a lot of set, too much bend in the outer half of the limb (and/or whippy tips)brace height too high, and a bow too short for the draw length.
42% of statistics are made up, and the other 62% are inaccurate.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©