Author Topic: Bow repair question  (Read 948 times)

Offline imua-06

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow repair question
« on: September 23, 2008, 04:33:00 AM »
My daughter just "discovered" traditional archery when she came home from college even though I have shot for years.  She finally decided to try it and is hooked.  I had her trying several of my recurves and longbows out to see what she liked.  I finally dug out an old Bear Cub longbow, 62", 45#, that my father in law had last used in the 50's.  I strung it and she fell in love with how smoothly it shot. I accidentally stepped on the bottom tip where the string grooves are when it was not strung and broke it off.  Oops.  

She is adamant that I repair this bow. I have my reservations about it since it is a clean break and the bow is over 50 years old.

Any suggestions to help me get my baby back into archery would be appreciated. I have not done bow work before but have done much wood work including cabinet making.  Would a horn or antler nock stay on safely?  Thanks in advance....Ken
Honor is a gift a man gives himself that no one can take away.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow repair question
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 10:18:00 AM »
If it were me, I'd simply file in some new nock an inch or so down from the tip.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 10:24:00 AM »
I second John's suggestion.  Shorter string and you are ready to go.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline imua-06

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 12:28:00 AM »
Thank you guys.  It was too obvious a fix to see.

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 12:46:00 AM »
Is your daughter pulling the 28" the bows is rated at? If so, I'm guessing she is near her limit for poundage, since she only recently started shooting.

Shortening the the bow will increase the weight, especially if you also shorten the unbroken limb to keep the tiller as it should be.

I agree it's the best way to save the bow, but make sure she's not overbowed, or interest may fade.

Just a thought.
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Offline imua-06

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 06:37:00 AM »
Excellent point, Jim.  It is too much bow for her, but it gave her something to shoot while over here.  She is currently in Pennsylvania at college and will return at Christmas.  Ideally, I would have her shoot something at her draw length...I just don't own it yet.  I will try to have her locate a bow shop over there to get her draw length and maybe I can buy her a used bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©