Author Topic: A longbow for Gene!  (Read 2498 times)

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
A longbow for Gene!
« on: September 23, 2008, 09:37:00 AM »
Well, you folks are behind on this one, so let me get ya'll up to speed.

Gene wanted one real close to John Cooper's bow. I don't blame him one bit! So far I have cut out the riser and sanded the fades down to paper thickness. I glued the lams together to make them 72", and cleaned all the edges up removing the small splinters. Have my form and the clear glass all taped up in preparation for layup tonight. I laid everything up in the form dry to check for fit. The lams conform really well to the fade-outs. This is gonna be another winner! I'll post more as I go.

Made quite a bit of progress last night and this morning. These next shots are what I found this morning. She cooked for 4 hours at 165 deg.

Here is a close up of my rubber strips.  I normally cut two from each inner tube.  I tie a simple knot in the end to loop over the 1/2" hardwood dowels on my forms.

I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A longbow for Gene!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 09:39:00 AM »
Notice the excess glue. It was mostly contained by the plastic wrap, but I had a few ruptures. No big deal. I would much rather use too much than too little!

Off to the band saw! I cut most of the glue boogers off with this.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 09:42:00 AM »
Then I take her to the belt sander. I will take the sides down to the fresh wood and glass.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 09:46:00 AM »
This 6X48" works a whole lot better than the little 4X36" table top model I used to use for this task.  It's much easier to avoid divots along the length of the limb with the larger surface to lay the limb on.

Next step is to cut the sides true to the max width I want for the bow. I use my table saw with a carbide blade. I start with the most true side on the fence and take it in real small increments. I alternate sides until I get it to my preferred width. In this case 1 5/16".

Now it's time to find the center line for layout. I inspect the riser area really close to make sure she is true. I then mark the center. I run a string from end to end with fishing weights on the ends. I sight down from each end of the bow adjusting until the string bisects the center of the riser. I then mark the tips. It will probably be off some on the tips. This doesn't matter because I am gonna taper the bow towards the tips.

This is not centered yet, but arranged so you cam see the X.

Ain't this osage pretty?

Here are a couple of more tools that I used frequently. First is a jointer that I use to true up riser blocks and plane it down to dimensions.

This is a 3" drum attached to my small drill press. I sand the fades on my riser with this.

This is a 1X30" sander that I use alot for shaping tips and grips.

Thats all for now. Tonight I plan to layout and cut the back profile, cut rough string nocks, string her up to check alignment, draw weight and tiller. Then I will laminate my tip and riser overlays for attaching to the bow later. Stay tuned!

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 09:48:00 AM »
This morning i connected the dots and created a good center line on the blank. After that I drew my back profile guide lines, and sanded it to the line on my belt sander. It only took about 15 minutes with 36 grit. Fiberglass will ruin a bandsaw blade in about an inch of glass. I avoid cutting it at all cost. I then cut in some rough string nocks and took her to brace.

Here she is drawing 49@28. I apologize for the cluttered background. I had a piece of cardboard to serve as a back drop but iit died when my freezer unexpectedly defrosted! After trapping the belly of the limbs and final sanding she should be close to 45 pounds.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 09:50:00 AM »
Now to prepare the cocobolo overlays! It amazes me how coco oxidizes. Here are some shots of freshly cut coco next to some that has oxidized. It will change colors in only a day or so, and that is out of the sun!

I mixed up too much smooth-on, as usual, and sanded/degreased my accent and coco pieces. I then buttered them up and clamped them to the edge of my work bench. These lights generate alot of heat! After about 15 minutes my thermometer showed that they were about the temp of well done poultry! After a couple of hours under the light, and then a couple more for good measure, I will take them to my sander and prep them to glue on. The short piece will be cut down the center length-wise and make two tip overlays.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 09:53:00 AM »
I went hunting yesterday so didn't get much done. I have glued the overlays in place here. I didn't cook them but 140-145 deg so not to overheat my limbs.

Here they are all cleaned up. I rough shaped the tips as well.

Now to start shaping the riser. This always makes me nervous!

Tonight I will work more on the riser and tips. After that I will trap the limbs and make final tiller adjustments.

Now you guys are up to date on this one.  Stay tuned for more progress.

Offline hera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 11:11:00 AM »
Wow, can't wait to see the final pic.  :clapper:

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 11:22:00 AM »
Great work as always. I just love following these build-a-longs. Thanks for sharing.  :thumbsup:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 03:04:00 PM »
Nice work Marty, those glue joints are perfect.  :thumbsup:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline TNstickn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 05:43:00 PM »
Marty, so glad we can see your builds!! Awesome work. Your a true inspiration!!! I always look for your post.
Pick a spot.>>>>-------> Shoot straight.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 09:16:00 AM »
This morning I took to it with a 4 way rasp.  I got the arrow shelf close, but saving the grip until after I check tiller again.  Any one know where to find a "good" 4 way rasp.  The ones I've found are made by Nicholson and aren't any good.  They dull really quick on glass.  This one is made by St Crispins and is really good.  Maybe it's harder than the new ones?

I re-cut the string groooves starting with a tile coping saw.

Then I go over it with a chain saw file.  

Finally I relieve some wood off the belly portion of the very tip on each side so that the string doesn't jump out of the groove when drawing the bow.

First one side and then the other.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 09:19:00 AM »
Next I mark off 14" of the limb and take my handy rasp and trap the belly side of the limbs towards the tips at about a 45 deg angle.  This lightens the tips without sacrificing much in the way of draw weight.  That's all for this morning.

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 02:10:00 PM »
Marty,
You are very generous to give us the inside look on you manufacturing process.  Excellent thread and good looking bow, as always.
I love your new sander.  Much better than the little craftsman I just burnt up.  Now I use a hand belt sander clamped in a workbench vise.  One of these days I am going to grow up and buy big boy toys.
By the way, your riser fades are incredible!

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 09:06:00 AM »
This morning I finished shaping the grip with the rasp.

Then sanded the riser, tips, and limb edges with 80 grit.  Tonight I will try to finish sanding and spray on a couple of grain sealer coats.

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2008, 01:50:00 PM »
Lookin good Marty, that is going to be one pretty bow.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline RaybowTx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2008, 05:08:00 PM »
Apex, looks great man. My fingers hurt thinking about stretching all that rubber;)  I like your duct board for a hot box, not heavy like wood.

Raybow.............Tx...............
na

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2008, 10:51:00 AM »
This morning I finished sanding and sprayed three coats of thinned Fullerplast to act as a grain filler.  I will sand it off tonight or in the morning and start my finish coats.  Sorry, but no photos.

Offline Pluck Yew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2008, 11:03:00 AM »
Apex, Great post...just the kind of up close detail that this wannabe needs thanks...  :notworthy:  

Shawn...
Give 'em the bird!

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2008, 07:02:00 PM »
I finished this one over the weekend!  She is very sweet, and I hope Gene will be happy.  I think I'm gonna continue to take my photos at the first crack of dawn, because the lighting is better than dusk!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©