Author Topic: refinishing or reparing finish on a bow  (Read 833 times)

Offline woodsman1031

• Trad Bowhunter
refinishing or reparing finish on a bow
« on: September 24, 2008, 04:46:00 AM »
Hello,

I just got a selfbow from a man that needs a little bit of refinishing. It is big leaf maple that has been stained(dont know if it was oil or water base). He finished it with Minwax polyurethane about a week and a half ago. There are a few places on the bow where the finish had rubbed or fallen off where loose wood may not have been sanded off originally. The bow performs flawlessly, but I want to get the finish repaired before the bow suffers from it.

I was thinking about sanding (or steel wool so I dont change the weight) the whole bow to remove the original poly. Then applying formby's tung oil which has polyurethane in it. With the formby's I usually "scrub" in 2 or 3 coats with steel wool and then possibly a finish coat. I also thought of just spraying it again with poly. I really like the bow. It was made for my weight preference and draw length. I want to do what is best for my bow.

I am wanting to know what yall would do to the bow if it was yours? Should I unlace and removed the leather handle if I refinish?

The most important thing to me is the welfare of the bow.

Tommy
Jesus Saves!

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: refinishing or reparing finish on a bow
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 01:39:00 PM »
Tommy, if it was me, I'd just steel wool the bad spots and repair the Poly.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©