Author Topic: Restoring old flatbow  (Read 941 times)

Offline cubs

• Trad Bowhunter
Restoring old flatbow
« on: September 24, 2008, 07:51:00 PM »
I just received a very old osage flatbow from a family friend who says it is from the 1920s.  It is in pretty good shape for the most part but I am worried about the finish.  The finish is beginning to chip at the tips and is scratched on the limbs.  How would I go about refinishing the bow.  When I got it I strung it and it pulls at about 60#.  Thanks

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Restoring old flatbow
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 08:04:00 PM »
The first thing I would do is determine what the finish is. You can take laquor thinner and mineral spirits and see which cuts the existing finish. Then just clean it up and lightly sand the chiped areas. Just all depends on what you want to do with the bow, a bow made in the 20's, I would hang it on the wall and enjoy it.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 01:19:00 PM »
I agree with Dano about hanging it on the wall and enjoying it that way....but if you intend to use it you will have to re-educate the wood how to bend or risk making kindling out of it.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 07:15:00 PM »
Too late!! Looks like Kyle already drew it to 60# Pat. Kyle, you really do want to work the bow slowly, kinda re-teach it to bend. It would be a shame to break her now.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline DCM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 09:55:00 AM »
Seattle, Washington - gotta figure pretty fair humidity there about now.  Had it been Idaho in January it may not have turned out so good.  Would love to see pictures.  

My thinking on old bows is this, an at least as good or better replica can be had with little expense and the one thing that cannot be replicated is the authenticity of an aged piece of our craft.  Would be a shame to lose it, simply for want of a similar bow to shoot.  Sure, rehab it back to working condition and shoot it some, but have another bow for every day use.

Would love to see pictures.  Might consider an authenic finish for the refinish job.  Probably would not be too difficult to determine what was used.

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 10:43:00 AM »
Have a little respect.Hang up and ponder about it's life a little.Thats what I'd do with it.I'm sure you can bring it back to life.If you want to.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©