Author Topic: Pyramid bow Tillering approach  (Read 2895 times)

Offline RayMO

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pyramid bow Tillering approach
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2008, 02:40:00 PM »
Yeah, I agree completely about the shooting. Good form is good form and it doesn't matter what you are shooting.

I find the BBO to be very durable with great cast, my problem is that I have never been able to get one tillered to suite me. I am pretty particular I guess. The last one I worked on (about mounth ago) got a hinge in it and I just layed it aside because it would not hit the weight I want. To big of a hurry when working on it. I do have two of them that are shooters. I got one layed out right now ready to glue the backing on. I don't consider myself much of a wood worker, I think it really takes a good eye and patience to tiller a BBO even using Dean's facet approach to end up with a well balance and timed bow. I have always glued R/D into my BBOs, maybe that is harder to tiller?

I have always wanted to get at least two wood bows that I am satisfied with and the confidence that I can make another one just like it before I commit to hunting with it.

As far as the glass bows go they are ok, but they don't come close to what a master bowyer does. you feel it in the balance and release.

Regardless, I am enjoying the challenge John! And I could write a book about what not to do...

RayMO

That bow laying on that spike picture of me is a glass bow I made.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2008, 07:23:00 PM »
For me, the biggest chance of coming up with a good bow is to get the glue-up from Dryad and follow the instructions contained in the DVD.
It results in a very good performing bow and a high percentage of successful outcome.

Offline RayMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2008, 08:01:00 AM »
Bjorn,

I know that Dryad bows are very highly thought of. What are the basics of the Dryad approach to tillering? Do they recommend reducing the belly in facets? Flat reduction? Can you get the DVD without buying one of the glue-ups?

RayMO

Offline Glenn Newell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2008, 09:00:00 AM »
If you are making a pryamid bow aren't they fairly wide? You would have to have a fairly large dia. bamboo pole to cut it from. Wouldn't you be better of with the hickory backing for a pryamid bow.
I like a narrower bow around 1.25" wide for a bamboo backed bow I like to use around belly for the bamboo backed bows as against the flat belly bows which I have gone right off these days...Glenn...

Offline RayMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2008, 09:37:00 AM »
Yes Glenn, I think you are right on all counts. It would be difficult getting a piece of boo that wide flatened out (2 to 2.5 inches).

The BBO bows I have made are as you suggest. I was just thinking that a flat bow design maybe easily tillered with a jointer than a round belly with a scrape.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2008, 11:32:00 AM »
Glenn St Charles used a small jointer in "Billets to Bows" video and lots of folks complained about it, but he explained that he was trying to make a living making bows and time was of the essence.

I have used a large edge sander with good results on an osage self bow (don't tell anyone).

The only flaw I see in your plan is that wood is not a uniform material. You will be unlikely to be able to reproduce a result or to tiller without going through the usual steps of floor tiller through final draw. The wood will still have to "learn" by bending and getting worked in from exercise and shooting.

Dean says something along the lines of "dry wood expertly tillered" is the key to less string follow and a good shooting bow.

Offline RayMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2008, 12:17:00 PM »
Yes Shaun, I suspect you are right and as you said there is no short cut to teaching the wood to bend even if all blanks were uniform which we know there not.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2008, 05:06:00 PM »
RayMo tha tillering approach is facets using a protractor. You reestablish the facets as material is removed.
And the blank get exercised between frequent trips to the tillering rack-7 trips approx.
I believe the 'Faceted Tillering Method' is also used by Dean Torges.
I do not know for a fact if the DVD is available by itself; but it does/did show up as a line item on the Dryad website.
You can buy glue ups from Dean Torges too(when he has them) and Raptor Archery among others.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2008, 05:18:00 PM »
I see making self bows as an evolution, with room for going in all kinds of directions and lots of opportunities for trial and error, you have to love the process at least as much as the result.
My best bow so far is an R/D; Bamboo, Bloodwood, Osage, that John Strunk and I glued up together and I tillered using his method, it was an honor to work with the guy.

Offline RayMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2008, 07:55:00 AM »
You got the "love the process" right, but it would be nice to get close to a bow you real like once in a while.   :D  

Life just isn't right if there is not a bow in progress...  :thumbsup:  

RayMO

Offline Springbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2008, 07:29:00 PM »
Ray, I do this all the time.  It is one of my fav ways to play with new ideas and materials.  I generally use oak cuz the bug bites me and I run down to Lowe's.

Basically, what I do is a lot like you are describing.  I have a planing table that I made that allows me to run my power hand planer over a board and take it down to any desired thickness.  I am tall and pull long, so I usually start with at least a 70" bow, 2" or even more wide, and a little over 3/8" thick.  Perfect boards and backed bows

If the limb's side taper is uniform, even circular tiller is essentially automatic, although wood is wood.

I cut in a narrow handle, and then add fades as short as I can get them, to leave the working limb some length.  I add a thin lam (1/8"-3/16")of some "better" bow wood to use as a fade, so I can get it really thin if I have to to prevent the handle popping off.  So on oak I would use good hickory or mulberry.  On hickory, maybe osage or ipe.  Then, you can add little tapered lams on the belly side of the tips and sweep them in from the sides to make a thinner/deeper, lighterweight slightly stiffer tip to make the bow shoot sweet.

On a  backed bow, it changes a little. Instead of just a handle with fades, I often put a power lam on the front under the backing.  This doesn't work as well with fabric as it does with hick'ry or bamboo. Then the handle on the belly side won't be as likely to pop off.  I have used a short piece tapered each direction with a table saw, planes and/or sander, and usually don't go thicker than 1/8".  I have also used some thicker veneer, I think it was 1/32" thick, and created a taper by glueing a 4" piece on top of a 6" piece on top of an 8" piece on top of a 10" piece, on top of a 12" piece, on top of a 14" piece.  See what I mean?  Like a human pyramid.  Running a sanding block over it after it dries takes down the little stair-steps, and the backing goes on over that.  I do the same thing if I want thicker, narrower tips.  Putting them under the backing, not on the belly, prevents then from having to take much load either in tension or compression, and creates a tiny bit of set-back or reflex.

One of the things I like about that there method is that you can get away with a lot in areas you aren't asking to bend as much, like the tips.  If you tried putting a veneer on the belly, , esp. where it bends much,it wouldn't work.

Reflexing a pyramid limb will change how it behaves. Both will get the limb working even more close to the handle and in the first half of the limb.

I have had the best luck getting it to a good even tiller (usually automatic with consistent thickness and even side taper) and then reflexing either by adding semi-recurves close to the ends, or by adding a long, even reflex that extends the length of the limb.  That kept tillering concerns pretty simple.  Middle of the road didn't work well with a pyramid, for me.

I would taper a bamboo backing, or the limb will be getting stiffer and stiffer toward the tips, really overworking the inner limb.  This is due to the bamboo's crown.  If the thickness is consistent, the limb will be thin at the edges, and crowned close to the handle, but full thickness and square at the tips.  A hickory backing that keeps the flat back and belly and the rectangular section might be a better choice.

And BTW, since I draw 29" (and I like it that way) a backing is a necessity on a 66" bow for me.  Or I have to go 3-1/2" wide.

A pyramid bow doesn't have to be wide, but the same rules about material selection apply.  I could make a long pyramid design in good hickory (I live in a dry climate) and go 1-3/4", but if I was trying to make a 66" or even a 64" out of oak, I wouldn't dream of having it less than 2-1/2" wide.  At least.

Even with the thick spots added, The tiller is predictable, if not automatic.  I put it on the tree and carefully bend it just far enough to see it bend a little.  The backed bow I just described; thickened handle with fades and stiffened tips,  will bend right off the fades first.  From there, if I need to get a TINY bit more bend, I just take a little off the sides with a plane.  If I need a bit more, I scrape the belly a little.  Or, I take the belly corners off just barely and take the belly flat down next, kinda like the faceted tillering method.

You will never get away from having to adjust tiller a little, esp. if the handle is below center, or whatever like that.  Just watch that handle bend a touch and chase the tiller out from there.

The last one I made, linen backed, was @ 7/16" thick, 68" long, 2 1/2 at the widest, glued with 2 layes of linen into 3" of reflex, with veneer-stiffened tips with a handle and a single piece power lam about 1/8" thick tapered down, about 12" long.  I restored it to a circular tiller over all but the last 7" of limb tips.  I drew the taper to a point and then added lines that started 3/8" wide and ran till they hit the taper lines, so about the last 5" was parallel.  

I had to do some minor adjusting at the fades, and some slight belly scraping mid-limb, and some narrowind and smoothing near the tips.  I ended up with a rectangle cross section maybe 3/4 of the way out and the belly side of the ends reverse trapped a little and sanded round.  I did that mostly to save weight and because I could get away with it.
42% of statistics are made up, and the other 62% are inaccurate.

Offline RayMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2008, 08:18:00 AM »
Thanks Springbuck, sounds like you have already tried what I was thinking about. Thanks for sharing all the details.

RayMO

Offline crosseye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2008, 10:43:00 AM »
all right, ray, i have been watching this thread for almost 2 weeks now with baited breath...i am going to make my first pyramid in the very near future for a friend of mine...start making the bow!  i can't wait to see how this turns out. i have learned so much from this thread already.

thanks

stan

Offline RayMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2008, 12:59:00 PM »
Stan,

It will be a while, I have decide to go back to a BBO bow that I have a hinge in and finish it even if it comes down to 20#. I think I can learn something from working the hinge out.

But, don't let me stop you, go for it and let us know how it goes for you.

My bow building does not get serious until after the hunting season which is late January for me.

Actually I have 3 bows started now, one hickory stave that is pyramid, and two Torges style (whatever that is) BBO. So many bows to build and so little time  :D  

It is good to hear that you got some value out of this threat. Thanks to all who have provided your skill and knowledge.

RayMO

Offline sulphur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2008, 07:45:00 AM »
the design idea is what i use when i have several bows to make around christmas time.  the other guys are right its super simple and effective.  depending on the wood i make it wider and shorter.  I make the profile .5 " thick toleave room for tillering and weight. then if it gets a backing i glue in 2-3" of reflex if no backing it gets tempered.  i have found my tempered pyrmid bows take less set.  because the circular tiller bends more near the handle they tend to take some set, thats why they get reflexed or tempered.  I can start on a pyrmid board bow and be shooting it (allowing for glue time) in about 2 hours.
Rumblin, Stumblin, Bumblin

Offline RayMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2008, 08:19:00 AM »
Sulphur, please tell me how you "temper"??

RayMO

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2008, 08:51:00 AM »
Use a heat gun on the belly side of the bow. DON'T SCORCH the wood. I saw that someone taped the gun to a piece of 2x4 to keep it at the same hight.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2008, 09:11:00 AM »
Especially with whitewoods you do "scorch" the belly wood to temper it and this adds to the compression strength. This works OK on oily woods like osage but works really well with white woods. Scorch it to brown, not black. After you heat treat the belly allow the wood 2 or 3 days to rehydrate before stressing it or it will probably break. If you are working with a backed bow you should pre-tiller the belly a bit and heat treat it before you glue on the backing. Urac will take some heat treating but most other glues can't take the heat. Never heat treat the back of a wood bow; backed or unbacked.  
  Marc St Louis wrote a chapter in the newest TBB(IV)about heat treating wood bows.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2008, 09:17:00 AM »
Sorry meant burn not scorch... Thanx pat for the correction.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©