Author Topic: Is It Worth It?  (Read 1003 times)

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
Is It Worth It?
« on: September 25, 2008, 08:42:00 PM »
A friend of mine said he had a few pieces of bamboo flooring left from a job and wanted to know if I wanted them.  Sure.  Then it dawned on me, "What if they are the toasted kind?"  Yep, they were.  
Is is worth it to make a bow from them?
Maybe a thinner core with a belly lam of osage or such?

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is It Worth It?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 11:25:00 PM »
You can back it and make a pretty good bow. I have made a few with hickory backing. The toasted is probably better boo flooring for belly wood because the toasting helps increase the compression strength. Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 10:21:00 AM »
Thanks Pat,
I've just read that some say it will be too brittle.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 11:00:00 AM »
Brittle isn't necessarily bad for compression wood. You don't want brittle wood for backing but for bellies it will be OK. You could even back it with paper, rawhide, sinew or cloth like silk or linen.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 04:55:00 PM »
Thanks Pat for answering my questions.  I was thinking either Hickory or Boo.  Another project to keep me misdirected.  :D

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 08:17:00 PM »
The carmelized boo flooring is weaker in compression than the natural.  It fatigues quicker and takes more set.  It doesn't even have the compression strength of red oak (same goes for the natural color as well).  I've made some nice bows out of it, but you have to keep its limitations in mind when you're laying out the bow.

The one nice thing about the boo flooring (natural or carmelized) is that I haven't been able to get it to crsysal or fret on the belly, even in torture tests.  The stuff is damn near indestructible.  If it were only better in compression...
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Springbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 08:03:00 PM »
I gotta correct Pat, sorry.

Most of the bamboo flooring made is pressure cooked if it is carmelized.  I wish it was actually "toasted", but like Jeremy said it is actually slightly weaker than the natural.

However, I have made a bunch of bows from it.  It's still OK.  It takes set, but boofloo seems to keep good spring even when it takes set.

I use it all the time as a middle lam in a three-lam, and I use it alone.  Like Jeremy said as well, it is almost impossible to get it to completely collapse, so you can get a little crazy with designs.
42% of statistics are made up, and the other 62% are inaccurate.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©