Author Topic: How to get from here to there?  (Read 1184 times)

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
How to get from here to there?
« on: September 30, 2008, 02:36:00 PM »
Let's say I have in mind a particular braced bow profile that I like the looks of; however, I don't know what it looks like unbraced. Is there any way to get from point A to point B without getting a similar bow and unstringing it and tracing its profile?
I know what I like, I just don't want to "steal" someone else's design.
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

"short skirts create less drag in the woods..." (Dave Worden)

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How to get from here to there?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 02:42:00 PM »
You aren't stealing if you use it just for a starting point.  It's all been done before anyway.  Unless you are selling them and advertising it as your own new design I don't think you should worry about it.  Every profile will work differently depending on your lam width, taper, and back profile.  I think to copy someones limb from a photo would be impossible anyway.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 03:15:00 PM »
Marty, I can't afford the one I really like!  :D    And have never seen one in person...
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 03:32:00 PM »
Pm someone that owns one.  They would probably trace it out for you.

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 03:56:00 PM »
Duh - I hadn't thought of that.  I'll let you know when I come up with something.  I'm still "on paper" right now....sooner or later I'm going to have to start mixing some epoxy and get busy with it...
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 04:49:00 PM »
Do something, Tom, even if it's wrong - LOL

Seriously - I've seen the work (wonders) you do with wood on a number of different projects. I can't wait to see the bow that you will, sooner or later, build.  :thumbsup:
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 05:04:00 PM »
Three Rivers and Binghams sell a blueprint for various longbows.  What kind of bow are you wanting to build?  When we spoke on the phone I offered to send you one I have.  The offer still stands.  It builds a mild R/D that I really, really like.

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 07:22:00 PM »
Marty, PM sent.

Bernie, I'll get around to it eventually.  I like to plan things out a bit before I jump in...though, I didn't do that with the offshore fishing boat and it turned out O.K..  ;)
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 08:27:00 PM »
I'll say it did, and besides you started planning to make a bow back before I even got interested in trad, let alone primitive - LOL. See my memory still works - sometimes - and I still remember when you bought that TBB, Vol I and started searching out exotic woods -    :goldtooth:   but I still have faith in you, buddy.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 10:53:00 PM »
Bernie,
I've been collecting exotic woods ever since then.  I intend to dump a heap of it on your doorstep soon and demand you make a selfbow out of it.  You can glue pieces together can't you?  :D   Naw, I don't reckon it'd be a selfbow then....
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 07:03:00 AM »
Nope, wouldn't be a self bow! That doesn't mean I'd turn down  scraps  of exotic wood you have left over - great for knife handles, and bow risers/tip overlays -    :clapper:

BTW - did you hear about the 1st Annual Primitive Skills Rendezvous in Burlington, NC this weekend? You would find lots of interest there if you could get there (it's Fri, Sat, Sun). Lots of trading gonna be going on. I would like to have gone for the whole time but - no way.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 08:18:00 AM »
Bernie,
I've got a cage match, er, family reunion, in Oriental this weekend - won't be able to make it.
Take some pix, please.
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 08:33:00 AM »
Sorry, Tom, I'm just wishing I could be there - I think it is gonna be good. They've been trying to get one together about 3 or more years now. Finally found a place.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline chrisg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 11:18:00 AM »
Stealing designs can get nasty, and I certainly don't approve of it. Now listen to this; I once made a bow and traced out the form freehand on my workbench with the aid of a very wobbly strip of perspex.I think it was my third try at building a bowform to suit my idea of how it should look. After a few retries I was satisfied with the general curves and went ahead. Some months later I was visiting a friend who makes bows to sell, he asked to see my bow unbraced and I obliged, he was curious and asked me where I got the design and I told him how I drew it out on my workbench. He was amazed and went over to his form and placed my bow on it, it was a perfect match! There is very little that hasn't been done before!
chrisg

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©