Author Topic: Scrapers?  (Read 1414 times)

Offline Curtis Haden

• Trad Bowhunter
Scrapers?
« on: October 01, 2008, 08:54:00 PM »
Which do you think is the best and easiest to use for fine tillering bamboo-backed and self-bows? (beginner here)

1. Mystic Scraper -    http://www.3riversarchery.com/Product.asp?c=49&s=217&p=0&i=6301  

2. Flat Cabinet Scraper -    http://www.3riversarchery.com/Product.asp?c=49&s=217&p=0&i=6307  

3. Wooden Handled Smooth Scraper -    http://www.3riversarchery.com/Product.asp?c=49&s=217&p=0&i=8561-1  

The Mystic Scraper looks to be the most versatile, from my admittedly inexperienced view.  I've been using a small pocket knife up till now.  Any advantages/disadvantages to the ones I listed?

Also, on a cabinet scraper, the cutting edge is a wire edge, burr, or hook shaped edge?  Is that what the "burnishing tool" is used for?  To create the hook or burr?
Rose Oak Ace 41@28
Super Shrew Gold 42@28
Black Widow PCH-X 40@28
Toelke Pika 43@28
_ _ _

A subtle play on words is better than a poke in the eye.

Offline hit or miss

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Scrapers?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 09:15:00 PM »
I use a flat cabinet scraper.  That said I think I would be interested in the mystic scraper also.

I may have to order one!

Offline Curtis Haden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 12:16:00 AM »
C'mon guys... need some help on the cabinet scraper "edge" quesion.  I found a flat piece of 1/32" thick steel laying around, and I'm making a scraper out of it.  So far, I've filed a single bevel edge sharp, and used a steel rod to roll a burr on the beveled side. (pushing the rod across the edge from the non-beveled side)

Am I doing it right or wrong???
Rose Oak Ace 41@28
Super Shrew Gold 42@28
Black Widow PCH-X 40@28
Toelke Pika 43@28
_ _ _

Offline Josh_IOWA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 08:23:00 AM »
There are lots of types of scrapers.  For heavy removal, anything hard and sharp will do.   It is much harder to get one working good for flatwork that it is to get one working on a bow.  

Ones sharpened at 45 will gouge easier than ones sharpened at 90.  Ones with a hook will cut easier than ones without and a tiny hook takes the finest shaving.
Later, Josh.  # 4143

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 09:15:00 AM »
I prefer to make a flat edge on scrapers. Sometimes I will add a curl to the edges but lately I haven't been doing that.
   I clamp the scraper in a vice and run a file along the edge to flatten it or just touch the edge down to the belt sander to flatten it.
  For a curled edge take the flattened edge and with a burnishing tool or a rounded screwdriver shank, pull it from one end to another at about a 1 deg(slight) slant along each edge.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 09:25:00 AM »
I use a Sandvik cabinet scraper.  Just about any tough steel will do the trick though.

Scraper Sharpening
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 09:34:00 AM »
You've got one of the perfect scrapers in your kitchen draw a meat cleaver. For years, I use an old one. Then I bought a Swedish push  knife. I bought it at a second hand store for $6. # Rivers sells them. Work great as a scraper. I also use a set of cooper tools  which have curved surfaces. Excellent for dippy rings.  I never liked scrapers that much. Most that do keep a straight and one with a curved surface handy. Jawge

Offline Springbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 04:58:00 PM »
For really fine work ike final tillering and smoothing, you really want a nice thin scraper made of hard steel.  Those from Three Rivers would be great, but one of my favorites I made from an old carbon/spring steel  2-1/2" putty knife.  I like the flex it has and thehandle and the steel sharpens well.

If I am doing heavy work, tho, all the thin scrapers get really hot in my hands.  I actually got a little burn once and dropped it.

If you file/stone a bevel in, keep it low, cuz like Josh said, it can gouge if it is too high.  I like closer to 60 or 65 degrees and then roll the hook over.  So, yes you are doing it right, as long as that is what you are after.  HOWEVER...

If you square the edge properly and make nice crisp 90 degree corners down the length, smooth it with a fine stone (or any stone with light pressure and a perfect angle)and then burnish a nice hook on both edges, you'll be suprised how nicely it cuts.  It won't take huge shavings, but will cut with zero effort, and "bite" so you won't have to use much effort to make it cut.

The Mystic one, I don't have, but I have made a thicker scraper along the same lines, with two handles and a 1/8" thick suared up blade.  I use it like a drawknife, but it scrapes and is a lot better for heavy work.  It is made of an old chisel.  I ground a tang where the blade was andmall handles on it.
42% of statistics are made up, and the other 62% are inaccurate.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 10:10:00 PM »
I like the Mystic, easy to use and have not sharpened mine yet after much use. When you do sharpen, just file a clean flat surface, no burnishing needed. But my vary favorite is the Bowyers Edge from Dean Torges (wooden handled scraper like a spoke shave). For a beginner, the Mystic, if you keep making bows, the B Edge.

Offline shamus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 11:18:00 AM »
Mystik is a good scraper and so is the sandvik. Both will work fine.

I prefer a burr (slight lip) on my scrapers, gives more bit. Square it up with a file, then burnish it with a steel rod.

Offline loyd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 04:12:00 AM »
curtis i will bring your  scraper to the rat hunt on the 24th loyd

Offline Curtis Haden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 11:41:00 PM »
Hey Loyd, just saw this.  Thanks!!!  Looking forward to it!

Curtis
Rose Oak Ace 41@28
Super Shrew Gold 42@28
Black Widow PCH-X 40@28
Toelke Pika 43@28
_ _ _

Offline Blaine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 10:13:00 AM »
I use an old chicago cutlery paring knife that I have reworked as a scraper with a burr edge.  The bevel is set up so that I can use the scaper in my righthand and push shavings off the wood.
"at some point, technology becomes not just an aid, but instead a substitute for woodsmanship."   Aldo Leopold

Offline bmgarto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2008, 10:08:00 AM »
The best I have found is a pair of scissors. The type you can take apart and us one side. Get you a scissor sharpener and you won't ever use a scraper again.

Offline bearbowfan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2008, 08:01:00 PM »
im using the mystic scraper on the bow im building now and i am totally satisfied with it

Offline Curtis Haden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2008, 09:11:00 PM »
Well, Loyd was as good as his word, and gave me a dandy little scraper he made.  Thanks again, Loyd.  You are a talented and generous fellow!

:thumbsup:  

Now... I need to make some more shavings.
Rose Oak Ace 41@28
Super Shrew Gold 42@28
Black Widow PCH-X 40@28
Toelke Pika 43@28
_ _ _

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2008, 08:28:00 PM »
#1. Bowyers Edge

#2. Mystic

Having both is nice.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2008, 08:17:00 AM »
I have them all and I do mean all. A half pair of scissors is the one I use the most. Sharpen with an accusharp scissors sharpener and you will not believe how fast they scrape off wood.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©