Author Topic: Need help finding a good four-way rasp!  (Read 1207 times)

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
Need help finding a good four-way rasp!
« on: October 06, 2008, 10:44:00 AM »
My old rasps have about had it after 7 fiberglass, and more wood bows.  Theses two that I have been using have held up well, and are probably 30-40 years old.  They are both St Crispens.  Here is a photo.

I have bought two made by Nicholson, and they are crap!  Wouldn't hold up to fiberglass.  I use these a bunch shaping risers and trapping glass limbs.  Anyone know anything about these, or some of similar quality?  Thanks.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need help finding a good four-way rasp!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 11:36:00 AM »
Have you tried a farriers rasp? You can buy them relatively cheap or if you know a farrier he will probably give you one or 2.
  Most of the Nicholson files you can buy at the hardware store are crap. Check out a good woodworking site for the good Nicholson files and rasps.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 12:10:00 PM »
Pat, do you know what I should be looking for?  Is there a particular hardness that is advertised?

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 12:21:00 PM »
I don't really know. You could e-mail them and explain what you are using it for and see what they suggest.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ray_G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 07:58:00 PM »
Marty and Pat,

I just called a company that I have been meaning to call  http://www.boggstool.com/   I had seen his website a few years ago but never got around to sending any his way.  He will do work for companies or individuals.

They do file and rasp liquid honing to restore sharpness.  I got quite an education.  In some cases he will reject a file after honing if it isn't 100% but he said that it would likely be sharper than most out of the box files or rasps.  His prices were $3 to $6 on most resharps - some are priced by the inch.  

He also sells Nicholson and he quoted me prices on the 49 and 50 cabinet rasps that are $10 cheaper than where I have bought them.

He said just wrap the files / rasps up to prevent rubbing and ship them with a business card or paper with contact info and return info.  He will hone and evaluate.  He returns the pieces with a bill to pay, depending on how they came out.  If he gives a reject to any file (dipped in red Dykem) the charge is under a buck.

I have a bunch to send him that have been used but not abused.  This will be way cheaper than buying new.  By the way, he sells farrier rasps and said a lot of his business is resharpening them.

Ray
Sunset Hill 64" 54# @ 26"  "Destiny"

B.H.A.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 09:47:00 AM »
That's great info Ray.  I will give them a try with my old rasps.
Marty

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 01:54:00 PM »
I'm seriously trying to picture how you'd sharpen a file or rasp.  Acutally, I'd like to see how they make them on "How It's Made".
Amazing technology we have these days...
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

"short skirts create less drag in the woods..." (Dave Worden)

Offline Ray_G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 02:56:00 PM »
Tom,

The way he explained it was that the file or rasp is subjected to a "liquid honing".  Some kind of fluid that has abrasive in it.  The abrasive removes a small amount of metal from the gullet of the file tooth, up to the top edge, thus creating a sharp edge of the same profile.  Kinda like sharpening a broadhead - removing metal to the edge.  Over time, there won't be enough there to work with and you replace it.  

He did say that some damage of files or rasps is irreversible but that most of the surface might be salvageable.  He also told me that some cheap tools are made with a thin case hardening, today.  Those won't take to this method but he will inform the customer of that.  We have seen this in some tools, particularly inexpensive hand saws and files.

He has much more for sale and services more than files and rasps.  Rotary tools, end mills, diamond coated cutting tools, etc.

Ray
Sunset Hill 64" 54# @ 26"  "Destiny"

B.H.A.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 06:33:00 PM »
Well Then. My Hardware Purchased Nicholson CRAP is gonna have to Do. Until I can Score One of the Nicer Ferriers Rasps, OR The Nickolson High Dollar One, Huh??
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Crimson mist

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 03:30:00 AM »
Sharpening a rasp is easy  purchase hydrochloric acid in the form of muratic acid at the hardware store, degrease the files or rasp completely cover in the acid in a covered container outside, overnight is usually long enough. I have recovered some wonderful ferriers and other files I found at garage sales, some so caked with rust I though I would never save them. Word of caution don't let them soak too long, like a couple of days or you might destroy a lot of the teeth

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©