Author Topic: Building my 3rd bow...lots of questions  (Read 832 times)

Offline Monkey Wrench

• Trad Bowhunter
Building my 3rd bow...lots of questions
« on: October 08, 2008, 09:27:00 PM »
Hey guys, I'm soon going to start building my 3rd bow, the other two were both red oak board bows with a silk backing that went fairly well.  They shoot pretty good, but I'm looking to progress my skills a bit.

Eventually I want a r/d ipe bow with a hickory backing, but for now, I'm going to go with a longbow style of these materials.  I need to get used to working with them before I jump in too far.  Right now I have purchased the ipe and hickory and plan on sawing it down this weekend.

My plan is to saw it down according to this page of the build-a-long.  Even though I'm not making an R/D, would the rough-out dimensions stay the same?  Here's the website...

http://www.geocities.com/salampsio/ipe3.htm

The only difference I'm planning on is to make the bow 72" long, since I have a 31" draw length.

A few more random questions...

1) Looking for comments on rough-out size

2) Do I need to buy Smooth-on EA40 to adhere the backing for a longbow, or is tightbond II sufficient?

3) I'll be tillering with a scraper, which I have never done before.  Which scraper should I buy?  3rivers has a three pack for a decent price, but I don't know of the quality.

4) I'm looking at getting a bench belt/disc sander to help the process along, how big of a unit do I need to get?  It seems like the price ranges are either the $150 dollar ones, then jumper to $350 to step up in size/hp.

Thanks guys, I'm sure I'll have lots more.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Building my 3rd bow...lots of questions
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 08:49:00 AM »
Ipe seems to work best with a narrow, thicker limb. You can easily make a 100# hickory or boo backed ipe with a 1" wide stave.  66" to 68"  should be fine for your 31" draw and a straight limb bow, Perry reflexed or R/D designs all work with this narrow limb design.  
   As for glue, TBII or TBIII will work fine. Urac is probably the best wood/wood glue but TB glues work fine.
   Any good thin steel will make a scraper. You don't have to spend anything but you can also get a 4 piece scraper set from mail order tool companies and local hardware/lumber co. Old saw blades or banding straps will work.
   Even though I don't use my belt sander for many bow building projects I now have a 6"x48" tabletop model from Grizzly that has a 10" disc sander I use to taper shafts. Check out grizzly.com for prices.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Monkey Wrench

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Building my 3rd bow...lots of questions
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 10:05:00 PM »
I appreciate the help Pat, thanks for the advice.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©