Author Topic: taper alignment  (Read 830 times)

Offline firewater100

• Trad Bowhunter
taper alignment
« on: October 10, 2008, 12:33:00 PM »
I have made a couple r/d longbows this past year with materials from binghams and i enjoyed the process.
     Well im ready to make another,a 58' 60lb. at 30in. with a 12 in riser td long bow like my first one with the same form.The materials were glass 2 tapered layers a one parelell of action boo. I know the basic principle and was pleased ow easy they turned out but i know this is where the adventure begins on learning ways to improve my ideas and understanding what makes a bow better.
    I have talked to several different boyers and have heard different ideas on how and why there design was better because of which way they put there tapers in, either one thick part on each end or some that put the the thick part of the tapers both on the tip.
     My question what type of differences are there with tapers both on one end, split and does it make a diference on how you stack the 3 layers of wood and why ( glass,taper,taper,parr,glass or glass,taper,parr,taper,glass)
     I hope this is understandable thanks for any input..

scott
Later
         Scott Wagner
Firewater Unlimited bows
    Where there motto is
              -  F.  U.  -
I can do it on my own

WWW.benifits4kids.org

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: taper alignment
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 08:52:00 PM »
Hey Scott,
 This is just my opinion,your mileage may vary.

I like some taper in the limbs on the bows I build. Usually .002 per inch. If any reverse taper is used,only a short one about 6-8" back towards center from the nocks. For me,the first off a new form is a wild guess!! LOL

I have stacked tapers and par. different ways with no probs,just make sure to allow for taper on your form if need be. On a TD,shouldn't be an issue.

Hope this helps,heres how I make forms,might find something useful, if you plan on getting deeper in this sickness called bowbuilding..... LOL

http://www.kennyscustomarchery.com/Bow_forms.html
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline firewater100

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 09:12:00 PM »
Thanks kenny, that was sorta of the point of my question, i was trying to deside if i wanted to thicken the tips to make the middle of the limb do more work and possibably reduce hand shock a little more and make it a little more quiet...
     What do you think , is it better to have a longer riser with shorter limbs or short riser with longer limbs. I love the short riser( most people that have shot my bow didnt because your fingers lie over the bottem limb) I was thinking the longer limbs would be a smother less stacking limb but i made a bow for my dad with a 17 in riser and the limbs were almost half as thick with what seemed like a little less hand shock.

Thanks verry much for the responce

later

Scott
Later
         Scott Wagner
Firewater Unlimited bows
    Where there motto is
              -  F.  U.  -
I can do it on my own

WWW.benifits4kids.org

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 09:32:00 PM »
I guess everything is kind of a tradeoff,longer limbs have to be thicker to get draw weight,thicker limbs means more mass weight,so more shock. Longer riser and shorter limbs would probably give a little more performance also.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline firewater100

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 09:37:00 PM »
kenny

Thank ya sir

later

scott
Later
         Scott Wagner