Author Topic: Board Bow Wood  (Read 1028 times)

Offline recurve guy387

• Trad Bowhunter
Board Bow Wood
« on: October 14, 2008, 07:36:00 AM »
Has anyone purchased good bow making wood from either Lowe's or Home Depot for making board bows or self bows? And if you did, tell me what to look for. I have the Bowyers Bible etc. and am reading that but still confused.
"Logica defecta stercus tori exploridus est." (Logic - having failed - try BS.)

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Board Bow Wood
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 08:58:00 AM »
Straight grain sides and back. So far red oak has been the only one that has come out a shooter.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 09:10:00 AM »
I've bought boards from both! Red oak is all I could find like Sal said. Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 05:15:00 PM »
i tried red oak, i prefer maple, its lighter and faster and more forgiving as a bow wood

Offline canid song

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 07:48:00 PM »
i have found quite a lot of decent 1x2 red oak board at both stores, as long as i'm picky. in the self longbows i've been making from these, i've been turning out some passable 35-45lb youth/starter bows. i've heard it said, and my experience is starting to bear out that red oak is better siuted for wide limbs, as i invariably get more string follow than i'd like, and these bows have been loosing more cast after breaking in than i'd like. i'll next be trying wide pyramid limbs, tapered from 1/2 to 3/8 in thickness and hope to get better results.

my oppinion; red oak is a tolerant work horse for light to medium bows but i'm not sure how long it'll last for selfbows.

just my impressions.
Sailing the high sierras.

Offline recurve guy387

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 07:59:00 AM »
Thanks a lot for the info. I knew about the grain, but really didn't know what kind of wood I was to look at.
"Logica defecta stercus tori exploridus est." (Logic - having failed - try BS.)

Offline shamus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 07:29:00 AM »
check out Jawge's site for board bow info:  http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/boards.html

Tim Baker's directions for a first board bow:  http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/6222/t/YOUR-FIRST-WOODEN-BOW.html

Offline KILLER B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 05:35:00 PM »
I have pulled all the red oak boards out one at a time looking carefully at each to just continue stacking them beside me.  Get some strange looks after you pull 20 boards out one at a time then just put every one right back on the shelf.  I made a 57 lb full length red oak bow that finally popped on me one morning while stringing her up on the way to the woods.  She didn't blow but has a definite crack along the back side.  It just sits in my shed with all my unused arrows.
Sticks and stones break deer bones.
One final word -Ramalamashamjam-

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 08:47:00 PM »
Yes, I've lost track of the no. of bows I've made from Home Depot boards. Thanks, Shamus for posting my site. I take time choosing a board with straight grain and walk away if I can't find a suitable board. I never got a funny look from a Hope Depot person. I have gotten funny looks from archers who see how fast boards shoot.
Jawge

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©