Author Topic: First failure, and I'm sick!  (Read 1872 times)

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First failure, and I'm sick!
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2008, 01:21:00 PM »
I noticed that the clear glass I got from Binghams had flaws in it that looked like fine check marks, or what Chad mentioned.  You can see them pretty clearly against the dark wood of the limbs, but none come thru or can be felt.  I'm watching to see if they get worse as my son shoots or if its just a visual flaw.
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline DCM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2008, 09:47:00 AM »
Odd, as you would think a great deal of torsional stress or cupping would be required to cause such a crack.  Looks entirely cosmetic to me, from the pic.  If it won't absorb very thin super glue I would not necessarily try any other remedy for fear of doing more harm than good.  Would be very interested to hear how it holds up to use.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2008, 12:48:00 PM »
Well, she is holding up just fine.  I've probably shot her 200 times so far.  I have to take some good photos and I'll show you folks the final product.  May just keep this one for a demo.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline ghost rob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2008, 03:01:00 PM »
Personaly I'd cut it in half and throw it out. It's not worth losing an eye over the cost of the materials. I've made a few that didn't come out right and it killed me to do it but that's what I did. If it was on the back it wouldn't bother me so much.

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2008, 08:41:00 AM »
If the crack doesnt come all the way through you should be fine.  I bet that bow will last a long time.  The smooth on should seal everything down tight. Gordons clear glass has cosmetic flaws in it regularly.  They no longer quality control inspect there bow glass.  In fact they dont even like making glass for trad bowyers anymore as demand is so small.  They have to set-up tooling to do a batch once a year and then they are done for the year and move on to better money making productions.  IMO this crapshoot with the clear glass is "the" real bummer when you are trying to sell bows.  

That is a bigger flaw than I have seen yet though.  Usually they are 2 inches or so.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2008, 12:32:00 PM »
Question is...was anything learned from it? If so, it's not a failure.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2008, 04:09:00 PM »
It turned out not to be a failure.  Just have to re-build another for a customer.  I inspect a little closer now.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©