Author Topic: 2 Hickory Logs  (Read 919 times)

Offline Wyostikbo

• Trad Bowhunter
2 Hickory Logs
« on: October 21, 2008, 06:22:00 PM »
A friend of mine brought me two 10" to 12" x 72" hickory logs back from West Virginia. They are fresh cut last week. What procedures should I follow now that I have them. I have made bows from cured staves and billets but I have never split and cured my own.
Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Brent

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2 Hickory Logs
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 07:38:00 PM »
At least split the logs in half but quarters would be better. Seal the ends and place them in a dry spot with a little air movement but not out in the wind.  The bark is going to be a bear to get off and it would probably easier while the wood is green. If you do remove the bark, seal the back. Some say it isn't necessary on whitewood but for me, why take the risk. If you don't remove the bark you should use a bug killer on the bark to kill and grubs or eggs that might be present.
   You can also take one of the staves down to floor tiller stage, strap it to a form with a bit of backset and give it a month in a dry place and you may be able to start tillering.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline shamus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 07:04:00 AM »
drying and seasoning wood (from my website):  http://analogperiphery.blogspot.com/2008/08/drying-and-seasoning-wood.html

Split into staves, Peel the bark off NOW, and shellac the ends and back. More info on the link.

Offline Wyostikbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 08:11:00 AM »
Thanks for the info guys. I will get started on them.

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 04:15:00 PM »
Slit into staves,debark wile green,seal ends.I cut mine long if I can.Put between two saw horses tie a cinder block in the middle off the ground.This will put some reflex in your staves.I've never had to seal the backs.I've only seen this happen when a hot box is used and its dryed to fast.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©