Author Topic: Osage Board bow  (Read 1237 times)

Offline Bear #20R

• Trad Bowhunter
Osage Board bow
« on: October 25, 2008, 01:11:00 AM »
There's nothing like a day hunting or stump shooting!!

Offline Bear #20R

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Osage Board bow
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 01:19:00 AM »
I want to build another bow I live in an apartment so I can't really work a stave. I have made a hickory backed hickory bow 40# and a red oak backed with rawhide 32#. The latest plan is to build an osage board bow using the osage board out of three rivers backed with hickory. I have these questions.

1. Is a hickory backing suitable I liked how tough the backing was on my other bow.

2. is 5/8 x 1 1/2 x 72 capable of a 50-60 lb bow

3. I want to have a rigid handle bow 8 inch with 2inch fades with a shelf.

4 Is titebond III capable of gluing the backing and handle on a bow in the 50-60 lb range. I used it on my other bows but they are fairly light.

5. width of limbs, suggested bow length for the handle and fades @ 28-29 inches of draw.

Thanks for the your help I don't want to order unless I have a chance of making a bow in the range.

Online rainman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 06:59:00 AM »
you can make such a bow, In fact it could be much shorter say 62 inches if you wanted.  Hickory and titebond would work just fine.

Dan
Semper Fidelis
Dan Raney

Offline Linc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 08:06:00 AM »
It's definately do-able.
Lincoln E. Farr

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 09:33:00 AM »
If you have a 28-29" draw I would make your bow at least 66"NTN. I would make it 1 1/2" wide tapering at mid limb to 1/2" nocks.

I have had mixed results with Tite Bond. If you can buy a pint of Urac 185 you are guaranteed a bullet proof glue bond.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 09:34:00 AM »
I have made a few hickory backed osage...around 62"t/t, 1 1/4" wide( at the fades with a straight taper or out about 6" than taper to 3/8" tips)and pulling 55#@26", glued up with TB glue. Some with stiff handles and some with limbs bending right to the handle.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline sulphur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 12:41:00 PM »
tite bond 3 is good.  however, if your using the 3 rivers osage look close it only comes about 38 inches.  you will need to splice two pieces at the handle.  I don't trust tite bond for that.  Urac 185 can ordered from 3 rivers also and its fairly inexpensive.  also urac works best with a hot box but its not necessary.  i have made several board bows with osage all were hickory backed.  just make sure you have a good plan and design before you get started.  that osage at 3 rivers is expensive!!!!  I get mine from hardwood lumber yard in Dallas. lots cheaper and i can get whole boards.  Have you looked for hardwood lumber retailers in Colorado springs.  could be worth a shot.
Rumblin, Stumblin, Bumblin

Offline sulphur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 12:43:00 PM »
look up Wellco hardwood on Las vegas st.  not sure if they have osage but its worth a try.
Rumblin, Stumblin, Bumblin

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 02:59:00 PM »
I have never had a glue failure with TBII or TBIII for either gluing on backings or handle splices.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2008, 06:03:00 PM »
send mike mcguire an email, he sells amazing osage staves and bow blanks!

for only 65 bucks you will get the best osage sent to your door!

Offline Bear #20R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2008, 11:37:00 AM »
Three rivers actually has a 72 inch board of osage right now it is pretty expensive. I wish I could work a stave but I just don't have the area and time right now to do it. Thanks for all of the advise and I hope to be posting pics of it as a build along on here Hopefully I can accomplish it and take it on a javie hunt in january

Offline Springbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 11:18:00 PM »
One secret to using Titebond III is to take some and thin it pretty thin with water.  After you are really happy with the fit of the boards you are glueing (no gaps) brush the thinned glue on as a sizing on each piece and let them dry completely or almost completely.  Then finish your glue up with normal-thickness TBIII.
42% of statistics are made up, and the other 62% are inaccurate.

Offline Bear #20R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 01:02:00 AM »

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©