Author Topic: ADVICE NEEDED FOR 1ST TIME SELFBOW (HICKORY)  (Read 845 times)

Offline TSHOOTER

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
ADVICE NEEDED FOR 1ST TIME SELFBOW (HICKORY)
« on: November 04, 2008, 06:13:00 PM »
I have a hickory stave I split 1 year ago and have seasoned in the barn.  I sealed the ends and sprayed it with insecticide but left the bark on  (bad idea).  I recently successfully removed the bark with a hatchet and wedges without damaging the back.  I still have a little of the reddish inner bark attached to the outer whitewood ring.  Can I leave a little of this inner bark attached or must I scrape it all the way down to the whitewood?  The back is a little wavy and I'm afraid if I remove all of the reddish wood in the little grooves I will violate the ring.  Also,  the length is going to be a about 67 inches and hopefully 45 to 50 llbs @ 27.  Is 1.75 inches wide at the fades and continuing out to mid limb and then tapered to .5 at the tips a good design for this type of wood?  

Thanks
He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son does not have life.  (1 John 5:12)

PBS
TGMM Family of the Bow
P&Y
Comptons

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: ADVICE NEEDED FOR 1ST TIME SELFBOW (HICKORY)
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 08:23:00 PM »
TS, A bit of the thin cambium is OK to leave on the back. Actually some do intentionally as camo. Later you can pick most of it out without much trouble.  Your bow design sounds fine. Take it slow and ask lots of questions. Pic are a big help for us to see your progress.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline TSHOOTER

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 07:38:00 AM »
Pat,  Thanks for the quick response.  I have 1 other question before I get started.  This stave has a slight twist on 1 end.  Would it be best to rough the bow out and then heat this to straighten.  I had thought I might induce about 3 inches of reflex on a caul and hoped this would take care of the twist at the same time?
He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son does not have life.  (1 John 5:12)

PBS
TGMM Family of the Bow
P&Y
Comptons

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 09:16:00 AM »
If you are going to induce reflex anyway then yes you can get the twist out then. It is not necessary to remove it and George T's web site covers dealing with twisted limbs on wood bows.  Hickory doesn't react well to dry heat like other woods do but for me, steam is out of the question on dry wood unless you seal it from the moisture with shellac.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 11:11:00 AM »
I have sanded or scraped it off.Your right it should have been taken off when cut.It comes off easyer then.Or it can be left on.[CAMO]I've did both.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©