Author Topic: Splicing boards  (Read 887 times)

Offline Don Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
Splicing boards
« on: November 07, 2008, 12:55:00 PM »
I have recently got a bunch of hickory boards that are 7/8" thick and 8 foor long. Some will make good bows but some have knots and other imperfections but I could get good 40" pieces from most of them. Has anyone took two pieces and spliced them in the handle to make a board bow. If so, could you induce some reflex and what type of joint would work. Thanks, Don

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Splicing boards
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 01:03:00 PM »
Don, I have spliced board bows with good success. You must add a wood(or boo)backing. Once you add the backing and handle riser the handle splice is secure. When you glue on the backing you can add reflex.
 Cut your board to shape including the handle area. Cut out your splices("Z" or "W"), glue and clamp it and let it cure. When that is done add the backing with Perry reflex.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Don Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 03:28:00 PM »
Thanks Pat, I was thinking about a tounge and groove joint but the Z-W would be easier to do. Don

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 03:58:00 PM »
The "Z" is the easiest. Lay the 1 half on top of the other and cut both together.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Springbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 01:52:00 AM »
I often splice boards with either W, V, or Z splice.  If I am splicing a 1/2" thick board or so, then adding a handle and a backing, they never come apart on me.  I have not induced setback this way but have done a jillion other things.  Once I spliced the boards, then thinned the area with the splice, and introduced deflex there while glueing up an Oreo handle.

Also, I make a lot of tri-lams and just use a skive splice and stagger them at each layer.

Lastly, I just bought a router bit tha does finger-joints.  I am positive that finger-jointing lams will be really strong, as long as I am using a backing and handle piece..
42% of statistics are made up, and the other 62% are inaccurate.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©