Author Topic: Need some help please!!  (Read 990 times)

Offline buckshot95

• Trad Bowhunter
Need some help please!!
« on: November 10, 2008, 06:44:00 PM »
I am trying to build a bow with a riser block. i have try a couple of times and it keep coming off. i am using 5 min epoxy. i was wonder is somebody would sent me some good 2 part glue for bow building. i will pay for the shipping. Thanks ßÚçK§HØT!!
52#@28"-60" Thunder Stick Moab
45#@28"-64" Fred Bear Montana

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need some help please!!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 06:53:00 PM »
have you tried heat curing it with a hair dryer?   Might help.   If you've had it on and off, you probably need to prep both surfaces down to clean wood again.  I've only done one riser that way, and so far, no trouble

Hmm.. another thought... what kind of five minute epoxy are you using... the two part kind where you squeeze and it comes out of two tubes?

Hopefully, guys with a lot more experience than mine will check in, but mine did work..
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Pluck Yew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 07:17:00 PM »
Dylan, You should try titebond III... at any hardware store ..I could ship you some urac 185 but you'd be better off going to home depot.. 5 bucks.. bam.. your done..

Shawn...
Give 'em the bird!

Offline buckshot95

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 07:23:00 PM »
i didn't heat cure it.i have took all of the glue off before regluing. i am using the tubed kind.

i might try the titebond III i have heard of it.thanks
52#@28"-60" Thunder Stick Moab
45#@28"-64" Fred Bear Montana

Offline Pluck Yew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 07:38:00 PM »
Dylan, I am new to bow making (working on # 12)but you name the glue and I have it in my garage..was skeptical about comments about "any yellow wood glue will be fine"..but have used 2 part epoxy, gorilla, c2,(super glue)..smooth-on..urac 185..titebond II,..titebond III,..and for ease of use (for wood lam bows)Titebond III is what I use.. I have not had a glue failure with it yet.. and I don't know what I'm doing..so .. with the advice of many here when I glue wood to wood I use titebond III...

Shawn...
Give 'em the bird!

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 08:29:00 PM »
Tite-Bond II and III are good glues. I have used them both on many bows and many kinds of wood.
   Probably the reason your riser is popping off is because the handle area is bending, even if only slightly. Starting with a thick stave and reducing the limbs will put the riser above the plain of the limbs making that area stronger and non bending.
   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 06:55:00 AM »
If your handles are popping off, it may not be the glues fault.  If the bow is trying to bend through the handle, no glue will hold it on.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Pluck Yew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 07:14:00 PM »
Yeah, what Pat and Apex said, If I knew how to tiller and had my bows bending closer to the handle I probably would have lost handles to!!   :biglaugh:  

Shawn...
Give 'em the bird!

Offline sulphur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 08:40:00 PM »
thats got to be the problem.  bending in the handle.   http://www.geocities.com/salampsio/ipe1.htm

look down the page about halfway, this should help with your risers.
Rumblin, Stumblin, Bumblin

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 01:21:00 PM »
make sure the limbs aren't bending to close to the handle or it will pop-off.

Offline Springbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 12:03:00 AM »
If you are putting a block on, you still have to make fade-outs.  The whole point of fades is the gradual transition from stiff to bendy.

I add a thin lam under the block and run it out onto the wood as part of the fade.  Also, power lam under the backing is a good idea.

If the pieces fit closely, TB III is all you need.  I thin the glue and put a thin sizing or wash coat on each piece, then check the fit and glue after they are dry..
42% of statistics are made up, and the other 62% are inaccurate.

Offline Glenn Newell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 02:55:00 PM »
I glue my handles on as 1/8" laminations and build them up to the depth I want, and as Springbuck said it needs to fadeout into the limb. I have my bows bending off the riser block and haven't had one pop off since I started glueing the handles up in laminations as it will flex when being drawn...Glenn...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©