Author Topic: Fullerplast question  (Read 723 times)

Offline bjansen

• Trad Bowhunter
Fullerplast question
« on: November 13, 2008, 08:18:00 AM »
Hello,

If anyone uses Fullerplast, would you mind giving a few tips.  I would like to start spraying this and need a little advice:

Does anyone know a store that stocks Fullerplast (I only saw Van-dee online which sells them in gallons only).  

Does anyone have tips on the application of Fullerplast (for example do you spray the first coat heavy,then sand back to seal the pores, then finish with 3 more coats?)

Any advice would be appreciated!

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fullerplast question
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 01:22:00 PM »
I thin my sealer/filler coats more than what I normally spray, probably because I read it somewhere.  I spray three coats and sand it all off, and usually have to spray a couple of more to seal the pores of some wood.    It really depends on the wood in your riser and lams.  Some is very easy, like osage.  Zebra has some big pores and takes a lot to fill.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Badlands

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 05:24:00 PM »
I've used Fullerplast for quite a while, I think I bought my first gallon from Fuller Obrien 20 years ago. I was told by the guys at Van-dee's that they bought the rights to the product and that they were the only place to get it and it only comes in gallons.  The last time I ordered it I think that it came to about $90 with shipping.
I spray it with a air brush. I thin all of the coats because it sprays a lot better that way but I especially thin the first coat so that it will soak in as much as possible.
I don't think thinning it hurts the application at all, if anything it gives you a better thinner coat. I will ussually sand it pretty good after the first coat and maybe even after the second coat to try to fill in the pores.

a couple things, when you decide to spay a bow be sure to set aside enough time to be able to spay all of your coats within 3 or 4 hours of each other or prefferably sooner. The only problem I've ever had with the stuff is when I waited to long to spray the last coat and the prior coat had dried to much to allow for a good bond.

and some guys buy two bottles of catalyst and use twice as much as is called for. It's supposed to make it dry even faster so you don't have to wait as long between coats, but it dries so fast as it is, I've never thought that was necessary.
Unless you build a lot of bows you will never use a gallon before it goes bad on you.  I think I sprayed about 30 bows and still had a half gallon left over when I finally had to replace it.

Offline bjansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 02:01:00 AM »
I appreciate that advice guys! I guess I better call Van Dee

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©