Author Topic: Sapling Bow Project - Holly (green reduction)  (Read 3892 times)

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sapling Bow Project - Holly (green reduction)
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2008, 12:19:00 PM »
Thanks again, Pat. I was thinking about doing that on one end anyway, both for this purpose, and in general use (for tillering particularly) - but I never thought about doing both ends. Sounds like a great idea. Now, though, I have a question that has been stopping me from using the bowyer's knot in the first place. How the devil do you string them, and tie and/or tighten/adjust them in the first place. Of course I also have to go back and see how to tie one again too - LOL. I hope that question is clear - I just can't envision how you apply them to the strung bow, so to speak. I don't even do well trying to string a bow without using a stringer, let alone while using a string without a loop, or two. Or, in other words, "HALP!"
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2008, 01:24:00 PM »
Bernie, This is only for a slack tillering string. My tillering string has one loop and a bowyers knot so I can use the same tillering string on most of the bows I make no matter their length. For your situation, with the bowyers knot on both ends the string will clinch down on each tip and not allow the string to slip off if the limb twists. I sometimes use a piece of parachute cord with a slip knot in each end for the same purpose. Once you get the tips to go 6' or 8" on this string go to a short string and about a 4" brace height.
  All of my strings now have one loop for the top nock and a bowyers knot(timber hitch)for the bottom.
  Some aboriginals have used and still use a string that has to be tied at both ends so it can be done... but not by me! d;^)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2008, 05:02:00 PM »
:biglaugh:    - OK, Pat - then NOT by me either (aboriginals are basically a tougher lot    :)   ). Not caring to raise knots on this ol' headbone, without very good reason    ;)   , I will adopt the following:

I will take both loops out of one FT string that I have/use for my "long string" - ONLY. Plus I will take the loop out of one end, only of another FT I have/use for low brace string for tillering purposes. I will then continue my practice of making "dedicated", two-loop flemish  twist strings, for each bow I make, when preparing to go to full or near-full brace and/or shooting in.

(Sound like a plan?    :)   )

This decision is predicated both by your info, and my (just now) finishing researching my, previously gathered, info on the Bowyer's Knot/Timber Hitch; in which they cautioned that anywhere a knot passes over itself is a weak spot, and therefore may break at that point when put under stress - OUCH! I recall, now, that is the reason I veered away from my plans to use that knot/methode a couple years back, before I started making bows. I think Caution is probably a good by-word here, as in most things we attempt -     :D

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2008, 09:53:00 AM »
Lookin'  good, Bernie...It looks like I need to go out back and find a sapling and give this a try...

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2008, 10:38:00 AM »
There ya go, David. Have at it.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline chrisg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2008, 10:42:00 AM »
Bernie this is a treat I wonder how many folk understand the effort that has gone into this thread so far, everything is clearly explained and the pictures match your words or vice versa! I spent three month hacking my way into a mulberry bow and scarcely had time to grab dinner let alone discuss my shop and possible plans! (The bow turned out 'ok' BTW but is getting a rawhide back and piking the limbs when my work slows down next month). Thanks so much for your threads they are always informative and entertaining.
chrisg

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2008, 11:53:00 AM »
Thank you so very much, chrisg. I've found it to be more fun when i do it that way, plus I feel like I learn/retain more, though it does take more time. Thanks again.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2008, 08:30:00 PM »
Last few days I've been feeling pretty puny (since Thurs. PM) so haven't accomplished much of anything. I did get out to my tillering tree one PM long enough to find (much to my surprise - guess I'd been concentrating too much on left and right deviations to notice it) that the top limb of "Hollyween" took off downward at about a 15 degree angle from the handle, while the bottom limb went pretty straight (for a sapling) out from the handle (on the tillering tree that is). Big dissappointment, since heating and bending hadn't been working too well on the rascal for other areas I've been working on. This AM I finally felt well enough to get (part of) my brain cooking again, and figured out a way to brace the bow, while heating and bending, that might bring the top limb closer to level. As the following (before & after) pictures will show, it seemed to work to a fair degree (also to my surprise -   :)  ). Now if it will just hold that shape , perhaps I can proceed with tillering, when I can get back out on the tree. (She really is a witch, you know - even if a rather attractive one -   ;)  )

Before:

After:

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Linc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2008, 08:52:00 AM »
Good luck taming that witch. I hope you get to feeling better and the heat treatment works. Some woods put up one heck of a fight before submitting.
Lincoln E. Farr

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2008, 05:12:00 PM »
I hope your feeling better soon too brother. I kinda like witches myself    :rolleyes:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2008, 07:15:00 PM »
LOL - yeah, dano but you have a way with "witches" (I lost my way, a few years back   ;)  )

Thanks to both of you for the good wishes. Not 100% yet but feeling much better today (wish it would warm up again though, but that's just me).

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2008, 07:17:00 PM »
She's coming along nicely, Bernie and dang if you don't look like an ole' pro with all the tweaking and bending going on with this holly stave.  I've not tried holly yet so I will be looking with interest.
Witches are special aren't they Dano.      Pat
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2008, 10:25:00 PM »
(LOL - Dano will agree) Thanks, Pat, I finally felt good enough this evening to get this thread posted on PA also. Now all I gotta do is make some more progress -   ;)

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2008, 05:40:00 PM »
Bernie, you just take your time, you show us youngins what patience is all about.    :D  

Witches, Winches, whatever   :rolleyes:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2008, 09:15:00 PM »
Thanks, ol' buddy. Looks like maybe I was assuming my "bow" was dryer than it may be - and I may have to try some Steam Heat on her, though i was trying to stay away from that -   :D  .

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2008, 09:57:00 PM »
Steam ain't so bad. I use a turkey frier, boil some water and cover the limb to be steamed with tin foil, pretty simple.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2008, 12:31:00 AM »
its looking real good uncle bernie  :thumbsup:    :clapper:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2008, 06:12:00 AM »
Thanks, Jeff.

Can I borra ya turkey frier, Dano, ah don't gots one -   :(    ;)   Mebbe I can use muh seafood steamer-er pot - 'n cook up a bait'a shrimps-es at thu same time -   :thumbsup:

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2008, 09:40:00 AM »
Bernie, A friend of mine used to use holly as a carving wood. It worked very well for carving but was notorious for checking, no matter what he did to prevent it. Maybe it was the thicker stuff he was working with. When I first read this post about a holly bow I wondered about the checking but obviously it didn't happen with your holly stave. If you introduce more moisture with steaming I think I would seal the back first with shellac just in case. Shellac can handle the heat and humidity of steaming. At least that is what Dean Torges says.    Pat
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline SoNevada Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2008, 09:57:00 AM »
Looken good...enjoying seeing the progress!
The doom of man...that he forgets!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©