Author Topic: differences in black and english walnut  (Read 856 times)

Offline mastin03

• Trad Bowhunter
differences in black and english walnut
« on: November 14, 2008, 10:14:00 AM »
I have some walnut trees in my yard that had sections cut out of them about two months ago due to some of the lower portions being dead and ready to fall.  Granted, they arent decaying dead, just not productive parts of the trees anymore than we were afraid would fall this winter as result of snow and ice....on to the subject matter

Some of the sections cut out of the tree were 3-5" in dia., some even bigger than that, and around 65-70 inches long.  I have been doing a little bit of looking around so i can make the distinction between black and english walnut, just havent donw it yet.  My questions are a) would these be a viable source for walnut staves?  and b) what are the differences in terms of material properties of english and black walnut? i havent been able to find anything in a quick search of the internet..

Thanks for the help, interested to hear the replies
Passin' on advice from my old man, "Keep your feathers dry."

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: differences in black and english walnut
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 10:26:00 AM »
Walnut is a relatively marginal bow wood and I personally would be leery of any that is not completely live and healthy. I'm not saying it won't work but the odds are against you...unless you are using them under glass.
   I am not familiar with the properties of English walnut.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline mastin03

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 10:30:00 AM »
thats kind of what i figured, but just wanted a few opinions...the bow bug bit me a few months ago and im lookin for every opportunity..haha

thanks for the input

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 01:34:00 PM »
I don't blame you. I was struck by it almost 30 years ago and I'm still looking!   I consider black walnut a whitewood when it comes to bow building. Actually, any wood that IS NOT osage, black locust, mulberry and a few others, I consider white wood and follow the white wood rules when making bows from them.
   Being from KY you should have lots of bow building available. Check out Bernie's posts on sapling bows. Very good bows can be made from simple materials.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline mastin03

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 01:52:00 PM »
thanks pat...ill keep that in mind as i move from the board bows to staves

Offline crooked river

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 01:07:00 PM »
Not all is lost, black walnut can make some sweet risers...I sliced one down to 3/16 for a backing on an oak bow...not the best performer but, with a hand rubbed finish it's a real looker..multiple layered glue-ups with different woods with your walnut sandwiched in there comes to mind as a nice handle layup

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©