Author Topic: Lams  (Read 704 times)

Offline WINDTALKER

• Trad Bowhunter
Lams
« on: November 15, 2008, 01:46:00 PM »
Hello all, I picked up a 6'L x 14"round spalted maple log off one of my job sites yesterday, now I don't make laminated bows or knife handles but I've seen both done with it and would some day like to try it. So what should I do to get the best lam results, should I cut it to dimensional lumber and dry it or dry it whole and do you need to treat it in anyway cause if I understand right spalting is caused by fungus. Sorry for the long question I just can't let good material go to waste. Thanks

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lams
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 07:25:00 PM »
Cut it into lumber or it will take forever to dry and it will probably get big checks.  Seal the ends.  Chad

Offline WINDTALKER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 02:13:00 PM »
Thanks Holm-Made, what size lumber is the best to work lams from? I've never done it before I was thinking 2"x6" this way I could run it through the table saw. I don't have a thickness sander. Thanks

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 04:13:00 PM »
Dimensional lumber takes one year to air dry for every inch it is thick here in MN.  For spalted lumber to be used as vaneers you would want to pick out the most figured part of the board.  I would think 1" boards would allow you to find the best parts.  

Spalting is the first stages of rot.  I would only use it as vaneers and not core lams.  Chad

Offline WINDTALKER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 06:32:00 PM »
Thanks for the info 1" boards it is then. Art

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©