Author Topic: supplies..  (Read 1013 times)

Offline sixshooter4

• Trad Bowhunter
supplies..
« on: November 16, 2008, 07:26:00 PM »
hey every body, im new at bow makeing and could use a few helpfull hints. i have already purchased a stave but i need to find a place to purchase the following and my pockets are a little shallow at the moment like every one els ha ha so price is a bit of an issue.

draw knife
wood rasp
un-procesed sinew
seniew glue
rawhide

any help would also be apreciated. ill be posting a play by play for my first bow, once i get these items and get to work. thanks!
Master SGT Murphy

American by birth
Texan by the grace of god

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: supplies..
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 08:53:00 PM »
Sarge

draw knife at the antique shops/mall, look at a couple of shops or booths and you should find some for under $30.

wood rasp, a Stanley 4-way at the hardware store of a used farriers rasp from an archery supply catalog.

sinew from deer legs - its that time of year in TX. There is a nice easy to harvest piece of sinew from the hoof to the joint on the back side of the legs. Or, back sinew is the thin layer on loins, but harder to cut off and clean. Find a deer hunter or go to a locker that processes deer and ask.

glue can be hide glue or Tightbond II or III.

you most likely won't need rawhide unless you are making a yew bow. Lots of osage in TX and no need to back with rawhide.

have fun making a bow.

Offline sixshooter4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 09:48:00 PM »
thank alot,

i have done a little looking at the antique shops and i have a good one placed for about $30 after a little haggleing.

and i thank you greatly for the information on the stanley 4-way!

i have been a hunting/fishing guide sence i was 12, and although i just took a beautifull buck this weekend and have about 8 leg tendons saved, i need it not only for the bow backing but for strings and fletching, so i need a larger supply for sure. I think i will make a run down to the meet processers and do a little rummaging.

and i was asking about the rawhide for makeing a quiver, but i have sence realized i have a nice impalla hide that would do the trick perfectly!

i know i have alot on my plate for a first timer ha ha but my father is into native american artifacts and bow hunting so i thought i would do my best to make him a whole plains package for x-mass. i have been knapping as a hobby for a few years and i have already made a anlter handled flint knife and a dozzen comanchee style war points for arrows. i figure if i have the time i might as well do it right the first time.

thank you for you advise!
Master SGT Murphy

American by birth

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 10:16:00 PM »
If you know a farrier or folks with horses you may get a farriers rasp for free. That's how I got mine. Its great for hogging off wood.   Knox unflavored gelatin is highly refined hide glue and works well with sinew backings. Leg sinews are good for bow backing and the backstrap sinew is good for strings and wraps because it is longer fibers. When I use sinew for wrapping feathers and points I chew the strand until it is pliable and then wrap it. It doesn't need hide glue because your saliva and the sinew makes it's own glue. I seal sinew wraps on my arrows with pitch varnish I make by dissolving pitch in alcohol. Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline sixshooter4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 11:06:00 PM »
thanks for the tips i have a few sheats of backstrap seniew and ill make sure to put it to the best use. and i have never herd of pitch varnish, i will have to give it a try, thanks again!

MSG Murphy.
Master SGT Murphy

American by birth

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 11:08:00 AM »
Hard brittle pitch works best. Just dissolve it in alcohol and strain it through a cloth to remove the solids and impurities. I use it for sealing sinew wraps on arrows and to seal hardwood shoot shafts.
   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 10:17:00 PM »
The wood rasps and draw knifes.I pick up at the flea markets.A lot of the time people think there just junk.And there stuck in a junk box.Last draw knife I bought I paided 3 bucks for same time I got 4 rasps for 1 each.
  Unprocesed sinew go to any deer proceser and they will give you all the legs you what.If you can get you one that will save you the sinew off the tenderloin.These are best they make longer threads.But the legs will do.
  Best to buy the rawhide and glue.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 10:18:00 PM »
The wood rasps and draw knifes.I pick up at the flea markets.A lot of the time people think there just junk.And there stuck in a junk box.Last draw knife I bought I paided 3 bucks for same time I got 4 rasps for 1 each.
  Unprocesed sinew go to any deer proceser and they will give you all the legs you what.If you can get you one that will save you the sinew off the tenderloin.These are best they make longer threads.But the legs will do.
  CROOKETARROW

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 10:19:00 PM »
  CROOKETARROW

Offline Sumpfmann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 04:06:00 PM »
For a good selection of rasps, scrapers, draw knives,and so forth:

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement