Author Topic: Bow scale  (Read 847 times)

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow scale
« on: November 24, 2008, 01:55:00 PM »
What are you builders using for a bow scale these days?  That and price would help.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline bjansen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow scale
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 09:52:00 PM »
I just bought a Pelouze 110Lb scale from 3 rivers, it cost $45. I am happy with it, but have nothing to compare too.  

I put a hook in my tree, attached the scale to the hook any my string, put an arrow shaft on the bow with a 28" mark and pull it to that mark.  Then my wife stands on a small ladder behind (to get a level reading) and tells me what the reading is when i say when (28" draw)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 11:40:00 PM »
Hanson Hand Held. I hold it in my hand, pull, and the reading registers and stays so I can read it. Jawge

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 09:27:00 AM »
How about when you are building a selfbow and have it on a tree?  Do you use a scale then when drawing it for tillering?
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline talkingcabbage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 08:36:00 PM »
i use a 90lb bow scale, i think it was from apple archery?  I have a screw eye at the bottom of my tree (somewhere around 35 inches so i don't interfere with the draw) and run a nylon cord from a hook that attaches to the bow string, down through the screw eye, and out to the scale.  then i stand back at a safe distance and pull on the scale to pull the string straight down and measure the poundage.

joe
Joe

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."

One of two things will happen; it'll either work or it won't.

Offline bjansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 10:58:00 PM »
reddodge,

I do not check my tiller using the scale.  I instead use a tillering stick I made. That allows me to stand back and check the tiller.  I only made a couple bows using this method but what I will do is get the bow tillered on the stick, then drop the weight to the desired poundage by checking it periodically on the bow.  

However the method joe noted is definelty the way to go.  It is a one man set up and you can stand back any see the tiller as you pull it down.  

Now that I think about it I better set one of these up in the basement!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©