Author Topic: When to Cut Hophornbeam  (Read 852 times)

Offline hickry

• Trad Bowhunter
When to Cut Hophornbeam
« on: November 26, 2008, 12:45:00 PM »
Hi.  I'm eyeing a couple of trees... one's a hophornbeam and the other an elm.  I thought about cutting sometime between now and Christmas... hopefully be ready for a spring project.  Shouldn't they have all the latewood for the year put on by now (assuming I'll be using outside ring as back)?  Also... does the bark on these trees "peel" like they would on some of the others?  If not, what's the best way to remove bark... drawknife?  Thanks, Alek.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: When to Cut Hophornbeam
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 01:41:00 PM »
Alek, These two woods, being whitewood, should be cut during the growing season.IMO Only at that time will the bark slip and all you do is peel the bark off and whats under is the pristine back for the bow.  Any wood can be cut at any time of the year but during this time of the year the bark holds fast and it takes a lot of work to get it off and in many cases you will have to chase the next ring to get a good solid back ring unless you are very careful. On woods like osage, locust and mulberry, where you generally remove the bark and sapwood anyway, winter is a good time to cut because of less bug, snake and heat problems.
   I prefer to harvest whitewoods as early as possible in the spring(after the leaves have come out)so I have last years annual ring for a back. It has had all winter to mature. If cut in late summer the present years growth ring has been laid down but, in my opinion, has not had time to mature.  
   If you wait until spring to harvest these woods you can take a few staves down to floor tiller stage and they can be ready to work in a month or so. Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dean Marlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 03:16:00 PM »
I cut it when I can get to it or have some help.You can cut it in the winter. Just takes a little more time to get the bark off of it. Dean
Dean Marlow

Offline hickry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 07:12:00 AM »
Thanks for the input.  I may cut the hophornbeam now and wait on the elm until spring... sounds like, either way, they could be ready to go for next October!  Thanks again... Alek.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 01:56:00 PM »
If you cut the wood now go ahead and remove the bark while it is green. Its a lot easier now than when it is dry. Seal the back after the bark comes off so it won't check.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Springbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 09:41:00 PM »
Bark comes off easier in the spring and summer with many tree species, but I wouldn't let that stop you...
42% of statistics are made up, and the other 62% are inaccurate.

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 07:31:00 PM »
I cut i'm in summer.The bark will peal off and and the staved have all winter to season.
  But any time you can get works.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 07:32:00 PM »
I cut i'm in summer.The bark will peal off and and the staved have all winter to season.
  But any time you can get works.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©