Author Topic: Tips or advice for smooth-on  (Read 974 times)

Offline Tunames

• Trad Bowhunter
Tips or advice for smooth-on
« on: November 26, 2008, 10:24:00 PM »
For instance how do you measure it? Used it for the first time tonite. This stuff is thick! Could I use Urac to glue up a riser (All wood of course) and smooth-on for the limbs?

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tips or advice for smooth-on
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 11:11:00 PM »
Warm the glue up before mixing. Some do use urac for the riser.  I use smooth on for everything.

I usually put a glob of part A in a small dixie cup and do the same for the part B (in separate cups).  Put both cups in the hot box for 10 minutes or so.  When they warm up you will be able to see if you have equal amounts as they settle to the bottem of the cups.  Mix both parts in a bowl and your ready to go.  The warmed up glue mixes and spreads easier and soaks into the lams better as well.  If it gets to thick your shop is too cold.  Before I had a heated shop I would keep my bowl of glue in front of a space heater to keep it warmed up as I used it.  Chad

Offline SoNevada Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 12:59:00 AM »
I mix my smooth-on glue in a paper bowl, I use plastic spoons and gather fairly close amounts of each and put them in the bowl, mix and spread. Living in the desert, I guess I never thought about the temp of the shop or the glue, but it does flow a bit better in the summer.
But I have never had a problem with spreading on any surface.
The doom of man...that he forgets!

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 06:15:00 AM »
If using paper cups, make sure you get the un-waxed kind.  I use see through plastic cukps with the ridged lines around the middle.  Easy to see when they are about equal with part A and B.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline mtquivers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 08:36:00 AM »
I have found that a full rounded serving spoon of each part is about right for a 1 piece fiberglass bow. Seperate spoons for each can!LOL
Van Bateman

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 09:11:00 AM »
Good point Marty on the all plastic cups and bowls.  I buy them in bulk.  Chad

Offline Tunames

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 11:55:00 AM »
I've been using all clear plastic cups and plastic spoons for Urac. So naturally thats what I used for Smooth-on. My cups were smooth so I put some water in one. Marked it with a sharpie then poured the water into the other cup and marked it. Then filled to those lines with A & B, That should be close enough, right?
I cooked it at 180 for 5 hrs. that about right?

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 12:02:00 PM »
You should be golden.

Offline Glenn Newell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 01:51:00 PM »
After your bows come out of the oven do you blokes leave the glued up staves to cure for a period of time before you bend the limbs?...Glenn...

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008, 06:09:00 PM »
Let it cool to room temperature then you can take it out of the form.  You won't be able to bend the limbs for quite a while after that since you have to profile the limbs and cut in string nocks anyway.  Chad

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2008, 01:40:00 PM »
I normally give her 24 hours before stressing.

Offline Glenn Newell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2008, 02:04:00 PM »
Thanks for the replys, I have been giving my bows a curing time after I pull them out of the oven. I don't use smooth-on, I use techni-glue only because I can buy it off the shelf here and I like the water wash up. I noticed with it that the left over glue that does not go in the oven will go rock hard after a week, I had some I wiped on a log and it was rained on for a few days, it went hard as well, so I have just been playing it safe and leaving the bow for a week before I bend the limbs...Glenn...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©