Author Topic: Perry Reflex?  (Read 1580 times)

Offline Directdrive

• Trad Bowhunter
Perry Reflex?
« on: December 02, 2008, 09:04:00 AM »
Hi, All:  Just a question...what is Perry Reflex?    :confused:   I've seen it mentioned but have  no idea what's being referred to.  Thanks!    :wavey:

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Perry Reflex?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 09:27:00 AM »
I believe it is the reflex/deflex built into a bow by gluing a backing to a belly core while being clamped in the R/D design. I quess he was the first to do this and talk about it.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 10:23:00 AM »
Perry reflex is a method of gluing up a belly and back into reflex. Dan Perry is a flight shooting champ from Utah and he popularized this method. By adding reflex at glue up, instead of by heat bending, etc, you change the neutral plane of the bow and reduce the tension and compression stresses.
   In Traditional Bowyers Bible III, page 91 there is an explanation of Perry reflex.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Directdrive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 06:24:00 PM »
Thanks.  I've already done that with a couple of bows but had never heard it referred to as the Perry Reflex.  Guess even an old dog can learn some new things.

Offline Tilbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 07:21:00 PM »
Pic = 1000 words  :)

The older I get, the better I was.

Offline Tilbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 07:22:00 PM »

Hickory backed hickory.
The older I get, the better I was.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 03:22:00 PM »
There is really no such thing as "Perry reflex". This was a term that was attached to Dan Perry when he was gluing in reflex for his flight bows.

People have been doing the same for a long time before Dan explained how he used the process when he made a limb for a flight bow.

Just a misnomer that stuck. I am pretty sure I read somewhere that Mr Perry was a bit embarrassed that he was give credit for an age old process he happened to use.

Offline snapper1d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 05:44:00 PM »
Eric you are completely correct!!! I was on another forum a few years ago and I did get to ask a question of him when he was explaining what he had done.He had a flight bow that after a few years had slowed down a bit.All he did was take a used and broken in good bow and add another backing and glued in some reflex with it.He went back to the flight shooting and was using that same bow and was out shooting everyone else and everyone was amazed.He was asked what he had done to get such a good flight bow.Well he finally told us right there on that forum.So there is the story as told to myself and the others by him.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 06:04:00 PM »
I mentioned that Dan popularized the method.I like using the term because it is a familiar term for a familiar method and easy to remember when called Perry reflex.   Even in TBIII, the method is called Perry Reflex. I wouldn't think Dan is offended by the term.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline snapper1d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 11:50:00 PM »
When we were on that other forum and Dan was telling us how he did that bow it didnt sound like he was offended but he did say he was just a little embarrassed because his name got stuck to it.From reading his post he did seem like a really nice person to.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 09:24:00 AM »
Yep, a little embarrassed is what I have read in several places over the years.

Offline DCM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 09:52:00 AM »
I would think getting your name published in a book, perhaps without your knowledge, and associated with a process which predates your use by perhaps centuries might be a bit embassing for a humble man.  I've actually seen Dan post both ways, accepting the naming convention and alternately voicing the sentiment others have mentioned.  Perhaps he just got used to it over time.

TBB series seems to perhaps not adequately aquaint the reader with what had gone before it in a much broader scope than this example.  But then that certainly isn't prerequsite for any work.  Rather, it's up to the reader to broaden his awareness and exposure to antiquity.  And at the time, 10 years ago, the wooden bow reanissance was all so new and fresh it seemed easy to forget we were treading on well very traveled, even if admittedly not recently tread, ground.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 01:54:00 PM »
Well said David.

When I came up with the idea for the tillering gizmo I was made a conscious effort not to attach my name to it. I am relatively certain someone had to have come up with the same idea in the past and suspect it just slipped off the radar over time.

Offline DCM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 02:35:00 PM »
Eric,

Exactly.

Now that little gouge/scraper you made outa horseshoe nail is just slicker 'n snot.  While lots of fellas have done similar things, I ain't above adjusting a tool to fit a task, that little jewel deserves fair recognition.  I can see one in my future for smithy work.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2008, 11:08:00 AM »
Again, not an original idea on the scraper. I found a guy making them on a gun BP building site. He wasn't making pin knot scrapers but something pretty close. When he encountered a problem while building a gun that he didn't have the right chisel or gouge to correct, he would grab a horseshoe nail and make what ever he needed.

I made a chisel and noticed it would get very sharp so I bent it over to make a scraper. I think I have 6 now, every size, shape, straight and slanted to the left and right.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©