Author Topic: To back or not to back...?  (Read 696 times)

Offline Patience

• Trad Bowhunter
To back or not to back...?
« on: December 03, 2008, 07:12:00 PM »
I plan on making a hickory bow and would like a few opinions on backing or not. As a side question, has anyone ever stripped a growth ring and used it as a backing? I have some ash with very thick growth rings and it is surprisingly easy to “peel” a ring off. I was planning on using it as a backing.

Thanks

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: To back or not to back...?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 10:41:00 PM »
Is your hickory a stave or a board? Hickory is tough wood. If it is a stave, no backing is needed...probably! If a board, A backing might not be necessary. It all depends on the grain on the back an side of the board.

Is the ash you have black ash(Fraxinus nigra)? If so, I've heard that it and blue ash(F. quadrangulata)are not good for bows. Black ash is used for basket making. One method of getting the weavers is to beat a log to loosen the rings so they could be stripped off to make the baskets. If the rings strip like you said, I would be leery of it as bow wood or backing.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 02:15:00 PM »
With the hickory you like'ly don't need a backing.I've built some bows that the backing was terrible.A there still shooting today.
  As far as the ash strips go your bow will like'y make it any way.If you can tiller.So the strip can't hurt.Give it a try.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 02:15:00 PM »
With the hickory you like'ly don't need a backing.I've built some bows that the backing was terrible.A there still shooting today.
  As far as the ash strips go your bow will like'y make it any way.If you can tiller.So the strip can't hurt.Give it a try.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©