Author Topic: Which is better?  (Read 574 times)

Offline Don Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
Which is better?
« on: December 08, 2008, 08:39:00 AM »
From a performance and durability stand point, would a wide limb board bow be better than a narrow limb bow. All the bows I've made are wide limb, 1 3/4". I rough in at 5/8" at handle to 3/8" at tips but end up at about 1/4" at tips on hickory and over 50 lbs. I was thinking of going to 1 1/4" wide which should give me a thicker limb when finished. Thanks, Don

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Which is better?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 08:56:00 AM »
Don, it mostly depends on the wood you are using. Some woods don't mind narrow limbs and others can't take narrow limbs. Bow length and draw length and weight also have an effect.
   If you have an osage board and want to make a bow with 1 1/4" limbs you will be fine but if you have red oak or hickory, a wider design should be used.
   You can extend the length for a bow of red oak or hickory and come out better but the other trade offs may come in to effect.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 11:49:00 AM »
The leanth matters,normely the longer the bow the narrower the limbs and be.Shorter the wider.Type of wood also matters.
  If you tiller good here's a good bow.64"to 66"with3/4" to 1" at the handle.1 1/4"s to 11/2"s at the fade outs.Taper down to 1" 6"s short of the nock then taper down to 3/8" nock.Each 6 to 8 inchs shorter make your limbs an 1/8 wider.This will work with most woods except the real light,white woods they have to be at least 2"s.If you go by these directions you won't be adding to the pile of fire wood beside the stove.
  If your good at tillering you can  make the limb narrower and shorter.You will have to let the wood make the decision.
   I always use the KISS method.In life KEEP IT SIMBLE STUPIT it works for most things. Espicial'ly for building bows.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 11:51:00 AM »
The leanth matters,normely the longer the bow the narrower the limbs and be.Shorter the wider.Type of wood also matters.
  If you tiller good here's a good bow.64"to 66"with3/4" to 1" at the handle.1 1/4"s to 11/2"s at the fade outs.Taper down to 1" 6"s short of the nock then taper down to 3/8" nock.Each 6 to 8 inchs shorter make your limbs an 1/8 wider.This will work with most woods except the real light,white woods they have to be at least 2"s.If you go by these directions you won't be adding to the pile of fire wood beside the stove.
  If your good at tillering you can  make the limb narrower and shorter.You will have to let the wood make the decision.
   I always use the KISS method.In life KEEP IT SIMBLE STUPIT it works for most things. Espicial'ly for building bows.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©