Author Topic: Elm, White Elm, Red Elm  (Read 767 times)

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
Elm, White Elm, Red Elm
« on: January 03, 2009, 06:37:00 PM »
I got to conduct a quick shopping raid on Crosscut Hardwoods this afternoon.  Came out with a nice 4' x 8" x 8/4 piece of walnut from which will come many risers, a 7' X 8" x 3/4 clear black walnut plank, which can make limb lambs or be used in laminated risers, and 3 assorted 3/4 planks of nice maple... two clear grain and one with a little curl.   This gives me more variety  acceptable stuff to work with than just the red oak and hickory I have had on hand.

They had a lot of elm... but no red elm... just "elm" and "white elm".   I know that red elm is a favored lam wood.  I'd be interested in any comments or comparisons between red elm and other elms.  If white elm is anywhere near as usable as red, I have a heck of a source right close by.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Diamondback59

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elm, White Elm, Red Elm
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 07:16:00 PM »
dick ill tell ya flat out i bulid mostley self bows  but  when it comes to elm ill take white any day over red  never have tryed the white for lams but i do use red in my glues up bows  some of the fastest static recurves ever made by marc st louis are  white  and i got lots of it here if ya can get it all cut ready to go ur way ahead cuz it s no fun at all to split white elm ha  have fun and good luck brock
yep im a bowaholic,, elkaholic !!!

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 07:36:00 PM »
I may have once worked for the Forest Service, but a logger I'm not!  I'll take my wood the same way I take my meat... pre-cut and packaged  :^)  I'll leave wrestling it raw out of the woods and fields to guys like you.    

Hopefully there will be some more input, but this afternoon I was standing in front of vertically stacked white elm planks from 8 to 16 feet long, of varying widths and thicknesses from 3/4 to 6/4.  The stack was maybe 6 to 8 planks deep and about 8 feet long on the floor.   For laminate use I'm cutting to 2" x 36" and then resawing lam pieces from that.  I could get a heck of a lot of lams from one good plank!
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Diamondback59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 10:08:00 PM »
sounds good dick  if you do get a bunch cut  give me a hollar  i might trade or buy a set of em from ya cuz id like to try some white elm for some lams   and same goes for me  i aint a splittin no log either i got 2 young boys   i sat there watched em do it  and  not for me haha ill stick to my osage and maulberry    brock
yep im a bowaholic,, elkaholic !!!

Offline Springbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 11:33:00 PM »
Red elm is favoered mostly for it's light weight and pretty grain, but it is usually stained.  When they say white lem, I bet they mean a specie with more sapwod than heartwood.  No reason NOT to use it, if you can make it as pretty as you want...the grain will show up nicely with a dye or stain.
42% of statistics are made up, and the other 62% are inaccurate.

Offline shamus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 07:17:00 AM »
speaking in regards to selfbows: Slippery (red) elm is a good bow wood. I was on my way to making a great a bow out of it, but a hidden knot broke one of the limbs. I wrote an article about it. Great potential for a bow wood.

Offline Asafan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 05:37:00 AM »
Dick, the unique reason of rare use of a white elm (he too has brown nucleus, but small) - pale colouring. On quality he does not concede to the majority of breeds of a tree. Some kinds have beautiful wavy figure, or longitudinal dark hyphens.
Wooden toys

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©