Author Topic: Flemish String Boards  (Read 912 times)

Offline HangingLimbArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Flemish String Boards
« on: January 13, 2009, 11:35:00 PM »
I must be missing something somewhere or just plain overanalyzing this string board thing. I have seen plans for many different string boards. Firstly when you look at the numbers 48,50,52 just what do these numbers represent, finished string length? If so I am even more confused as it supposedly takes 8" to twist the ends into a locked loop. When you look at most board plans they are about 28" between outside pins and about 2" back to the 48 pin equaling about 60"s of bundle minus 16" of ends for the two loops makes a 44" string so where does the 48 come in?  :confused:

Offline mastin03

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Flemish String Boards
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 08:40:00 AM »
I made my flemish board off of instructions from this site

http://www.geocities.com/salampsio/index.html

using these dimensions

the site is very informative and it talks you through exactly what you are doing.  The way my board works (and this may be different for others) is if i have a bow 68" ntn then i start at the top peg, wrapping my way around the far corner post, up to the 68" mark, back down to the far right corner post, and then back through the next set of pegs down from where i started.  Then repeat the process to make my bundles how ever many strands i deem necessary.  After i have two or three bundles, depending on the string im making, i start somewhere between 7"-8" back from the longest strand and start my loops on both ends.  I think it says on the site i listed above that each jig is different, and you have to make one or two to see exactly how far bach you need to start your loop each time.  Sorry if this is confusing, just go to the site i listed and read the pages under the "Making a Flemish String" link and youll figure it out.  John Scrifes website also has some VERY helpful information on this topic
Passin' on advice from my old man, "Keep your feathers dry."

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 10:54:00 AM »
I, too, used Sam's site to build my board exactly as he shows.  I will say, though, that I have to fudge my measurments to get the strings to be the exact fit I want.  He mentions that may happen and that is what I've experienced.  It does work, though.

Offline HangingLimbArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 10:55:00 AM »
Thank you for your advice gentlemen.
I talked to a local fellow at quite some length last night and then went home and finished a string he started I didn't come out bad at all.
I am however even more confused about the numbers now. I had a new bitterroot string in it's package marked 58" which happens to be the ntn on my bow but  the string untwisted measures 54.5" in order to get the correct brace height I have to twist the string quite a bit.
Trail and error I guess! I ordered a few spools of thread lets see what happens. Thank You Again!

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 10:53:00 AM »
My jig is made off of the same plan as mastin03.  For a 58" N to N bow, set your pin in the hole marked 58".  Wind your string the number of strands you want for each bundle.

Take the bundles you make and measure 8" from the end and start twisting.  When you get three" twisted fold the loop, match the bundle colors, and twist the remaining 5" into the string.

Go to the other end and repeat making sure you start off with the bundles even.  I always make a three bundle string because it looks better to me.  If I am making a 12 strand string I use three bundles of four strand each.

Dennis

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 11:15:00 AM »
String packages are often marked with the bow AMO length - not the string length. String length is 3 to 4 inches less than the bow length.

I made a string jig and marked it for actual string length as this is easier for me than figuring from the bow length.

Offline Phillyman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 01:04:00 PM »
This guy shows you how to do it without a jig. Very simple, and give you good understanding of the lengths involved.

Offline tim-flood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 03:53:00 PM »
the board I have drawn up in the how to section shows AMO length if you have a grizzly you have a 58" if you hve a kodiak mag you have a 52"  the number written on most bows is the AMO length

Offline Minuteman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 07:28:00 AM »
I don't use a jig and its difficult to get it to come out just right as far as length goes. I usually end up untwisting and redoing one of the loops 2 or 3 times to get it right.
There sure is alot of air around a squirrel...eeyup.

Offline tim-flood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 10:34:00 AM »
Minuteman you can make a jig in about half the time it takes to make a sting. and onece you make one measure it and write it on the jig and it will get you close for the nest one

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©