3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need Info on Georgia huntin'  (Read 363 times)

Offline rascal

• Trad Bowhunter
Need Info on Georgia huntin'
« on: February 05, 2008, 08:04:00 PM »
Seems like I just moved from Michigan to Iowa yesterday and just getting settled back in as far as hunting and outdoor sports are concerned.  Now it seems there is the possibility that we will be faced with yet another long distance move.  To that end I would like to be a little more prepared if this thing does happen I dont want to stumble into things as blindly as the last move.  It took me a while to warm up to Iowa ( I know I know Im living in Big Buck Heaven, Golden Triangle all that) but now Im pretty fond of my adopted state even if I cant fish for trout and salmon out my back door.  Hoping to skip that awkward "Getting to know my way around" stage and get right to the "Embracing whats good" stage this time around if you know what I mean.

I figured I couldnt find a better place to get my answers than here on TradGang, so all you folks from Georgia come on out and let me know what I can look forward to.  =)

**OOPS**  Forgot to mention we would be looking around Augusta, GA area.  Im sure that makes a big difference in the scheme of things.
Hunt fair, hunt hard, no regrets.

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need Info on Georgia huntin'
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 10:30:00 PM »
Rascal, the deer will look small, but there are lots of them and the season is long!  Better yet, the Traditional Bowhunter's of Georgia is a great group that likes to get together for shoots and hunts.....you'll have a ball.  And...I live in Augusta and will give you all the help I can.  Some others here as well.  Go to the Georgia Thread here on TradGang for some more poop.  Email me for anything.  Steve

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 05:03:00 AM »
There is also a pretty tight knit bunch on the Georgia Outdoor News (GON) forum.  You are in for a treat!  Great hunting, long seasons, hogs, saltwater fishing, fresh water fishing, salt marshes, barrier islands, mountains streams, and I could go on!  
Good luck in your move, Marty
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 06:40:00 AM »
Rascal, Georgia has a LOT of traditional shooters scattered throuout the state, with many being in the Augusta area.  There is good deer hunting all over the state, with central and S Ga having the biggest.  Hogs scattered all over too, with some black bear up north and down South.  Gators in S Ga for a limited season.
As SOS said, the deer are smaller here, but the game is abundant and Ga usually has a great climate to live in.
Dan

Offline rascal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 08:44:00 PM »
Hey guys thanks for all the information, sounds like I have a lot to learn if this move does take place.  Always fun getting to explore some new places and run into some new faces, not to mention get to hunt some new critters.  

Now a few years ago I did some checking around in South Carolina and all the hunting was a club thing.  In other words you belonged to a club for deer and one for upland game and one for waterfowling, etc.  The cost of all of this clubbing was a bit outrageous to say the least and the politics involved sounded quite annoying to say the least.  Is this pretty standard in Georgia as well??

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 10:24:00 PM »
I have been in several south Ga clubs that were high priced. The last 4 -5 years I have hunted all public and in all honesty the hunting is better.Within an hour from my house there are nine wma`s on prime land most riverbottoms = 80,000 = acres not to mention Fort Stewart at I think 250,000 acres.I killed 12 hogs on public land last year.Within two miles of the famed "Paridise " club.Cost me 18 bucks.RC

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 10:11:00 PM »
Rascal,
Some decent opportunities for public land in the Augusta area.  I'm lucky and have permission for one small chunk of honey hole.  Lot of folks do hunt clubs, most of those are gun clubs with not a lot of archery only.  Steve

Offline rascal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 06:26:00 PM »
I was afraid of the club and closed land aspect, I faced a little bit of that when I came here and ended up renting a nice piece of land just to secure my hunting.  Not the option I really wanted but it worked out, I guess Ill have to do some more checking on this.  Thanks for all the info guys, as always the folks here at TradGang come through in a pinch.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©