Author Topic: osage logs  (Read 802 times)

Offline adam

• Trad Bowhunter
osage logs
« on: January 25, 2009, 10:21:00 AM »
Hey guys,
    I have some family in ohio that cut some osage logs for me this past week and sealed the ends. I'm supposed to be getting them this upcoming weekend. I'm going to be using these logs for lams. So my question is, should i let these logs season like they are or go ahead and take them to the mill and get them squared up and let them season?? Is there anything i need to spray them with to keep worms out of the wood?? Thanks

Adam
Psalm 18:33

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: osage logs
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 10:46:00 AM »
As hole logs with sealed ends, they will take many years to season. You might want to have then sawn thick and stack and sticker them so they cure properly and safely.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Diamondback59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 12:15:00 PM »
i do a lot of my lam  log s like pat says but i debark the log befor i take it in and then seal each of the boards ends  with a wax/anchorseal  mix    so they dont check too much   then i stack the borads 1 row  put a 2 x4  for a spacer in and start another row just keep stackin them up one row up another  with good air flow out of the weather  let em season   brock
yep im a bowaholic,, elkaholic !!!

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 12:22:00 PM »
Takes about one year to air dry for every one inch thick the boards are.  Might want to cut some one inch stuff.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 12:59:00 PM »
Chad, I believe it is 1" per year but on a 2" board 1" in from each side is 2" total so a year should be enough. That said, the longer you "cure" the wood the better. Even though at the thickness of a board it will dry in a year or so, it will continue to "cure" over many years. The longer the wood is cured the more stable and resilient it will be.IMO   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Diamondback59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 01:14:00 PM »
pat s correct there  sometime s i even take a board if i relley need one put it in my 24 in hot box to help thing s along with a small fan in there to circilate the air  but not till they have been air drying at leat 6 - 8 months  brock
yep im a bowaholic,, elkaholic !!!

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 04:26:00 AM »
If you bear the time,Put them the shade and split them up in two years.Spliting better won't get as many staves.But these will follow the grain.
   If you have to split them heres what I do.Cut them long 75,80" Is good.Get a couple saw horsas.Put the ends up on the saw horses.Take a cinder block tie it off the ground in the middle let it hang.D
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 04:34:00 AM »
Sorry,Do this as soon as you split them out.Keep them in the shade.Some staves this will help better than others.The one's with a little deflex it wiii help the best.
  Don't exspect your staves to look like U's but it will help some.
                     ROY
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©