Author Topic: Crinkling/Cracking in The Finish on Bows Built Out of Cocobolo  (Read 674 times)

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Crinkling/Cracking in The Finish on Bows Built Out of Cocobolo
« on: January 26, 2009, 01:21:00 PM »
Has anyone experienced crinkling/cracking in the finish in bows built out of Cocobolo or any other woods that have oily characteristics? I just received a bow that is drop dead gorgeous. However, if you get the riser with the light shining just right you can pick out 4 or 5 cracks in the finish and another 8 or so crinkles. I suspect the 4 or 5 cracks initially started out as crinkles and then eventually became cracks. I can actually feel the cracks with the tip of my finger and I can't feel the crinkles. Neither the cracks nor the crinkles appear to go down into the wood itself. I'll be shipping the bow to the bowyer to have it refinished.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline Buckeyehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Crinkling/Cracking in The Finish on Bows Built Out of Cocobolo
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 09:56:00 PM »
I had a similar situation with cocobola and ipe.  My problem was I finished the bow with tru-oil, which after 2 weeks was still a little tacky.  I then sprayed lacquer over the tru-oil.  I think the few "crinkles" are from putting a hard finish over a soft, uncured finish. Can't say this is what happened to your bow, but I can say don't do what I did.

Offline R.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 02:00:00 PM »
I had a bear of a time finishing the bow I built for my brother. Cocobola riser, too, and the Minwax Poly spray finish I used would look good for a week to ten days, and then it would develop small "blisters" that would soon start flaking.

Having used acetone to remove the oil from the surface of the cocobola prior to spraying,and still having peeling problems, I finally gave up on the polyurethane.

What I ended up using was "Deft" satin lacquer spray wood finish. One plus to this, is that repairs to the finish are fairly easy, as the newer coatings actually bond to the old finish, as long as you thoroughly clean all oil,wax, grime, etc from  the bow before laying down a new coat of finish.

Good luck with your project.

R.W.

Offline Badlands

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 03:56:00 PM »
I haven't had much trouble with finishing Cocobola with Fullerplast, but I don't think I have ever made a single riser out of it that hasn't developed some cracks in the wood at some point in time.

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 02:32:00 AM »
Cracking happens for two reason.They happen at stress points.Use'ly on the limbs is your handle small.Or dose the bow been into the handle.These are the main reasons.Or when it's been shot a lot.But you say your is a new bow.Or it could be the type of finish was used.
  Crikling is just the finish put on a little heavey and hung up to dry it ran down a slight bit.Grivity at work.
                    ROY
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 02:39:00 AM »
Cracking happens for two reason.They happen at stress points.Use'ly on the limbs is your handle small.Or dose the bow been into the handle.These are the main reasons.Or when it's been shot a lot.But you say your is a new bow.Or it could be the type of finish was used.
  Crikling is just the finish put on a little heavey and hung up to dry it ran down a slight bit.Grivity at work.
                    ROY
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©