Author Topic: New stave  (Read 1526 times)

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New stave
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2009, 04:51:00 PM »
Pat and George, what is the advantages of leaving the tips so wide during layout?  I have been cutting my tips to 1/2" right off the bat.

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2009, 05:04:00 PM »
Will see what they say but I think it is so you can adjust your string to the center if you need to.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2009, 05:16:00 PM »
But with osage, you have no choice but to follow the grain.  I guess near the tip 1/2 off the center of the grain from the handle wouldn't be the end of the world.

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2009, 01:35:00 AM »
O'sage can be heated. But remember all wood has menory after heated keep presure off the tips a few days before you start your bow make sure it's not going to flex back.Remember the thicker your wood less likely it will flex back.
                                   ROY
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2009, 10:52:00 AM »
Can this be saved? it is about mid limb, I was thinking about putting some glue in it and wrapping it with some artificial sinew. I had just finished the antler tips and put it on the tree when this happened.

Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2009, 11:03:00 PM »
If it's so bad I cant make shorter bow from it.I don't use it. You say that a couple of things come into play here.I don't use heat and hav'nt for over 10 years.If your stave  is so bad you have to heat it to strighten it.You starting out disadvaned.By heating you change cell strucker and your bow comes out looking good but not to durable.Like I said It looks good but couple hundard shots later it go's out of tiller or something.I like to keep it natual.I like to use the KISS method,keep it simple stuipit.This work on just about everything.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©