3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tillering Gizmo and R/D bows  (Read 269 times)

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
Tillering Gizmo and R/D bows
« on: February 05, 2008, 10:17:00 PM »
I'm in the process of tillering a bbh r/d bow and was wondering if the tillering gizmo would work on a slight r/d bow like the one in hunting the bamboo backed bow with dean torges. It forms a D when strung. would it work with a more pronounced r/d bow like Dryad Hunter which has more of a recurve looking braced profile. Thank you-Scott
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline ozarkcherrybow1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tillering Gizmo and R/D bows
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 11:11:00 PM »
I believe the gizmo will help with tillering any style bow. It will show where a potential hinge may occur and show where the limb is not bending enough. I have used it on 3 Dryad blanks and many other selfbows since discovering it. Until a bowyer is able to tiller by eye alone, he/she should use the gizmo. IMO.....Terry

Online PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 11:31:00 PM »
It will work on the BENDING portion of the limbs on both bows. You change sides to the smaller nails as you tiller out towards nonbending tips keeping in mind the desired finished braced profile.It's a good tool for finding small flat spots.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 01:24:00 PM »
It will work just fine on a R/D bow. As I stated in the how to section, it will mark the smallest stiff spot in the limbs but not in the fade out area near the handle. You will have to eyeball this area or put a flat board across the back of the handle section and watch the gap between the limb and the board to make sure you are getting some bend.

I made a bunch of fancy walnut and brass gizmos to sell at tournaments, ended up giving most of them away to anyone who showed an interest.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 01:35:00 PM »
Not the way to run a successful business Eric, but sure is a great way to be a successful person!  :thumbsup:    :notworthy:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 07:40:00 PM »
Eric, where can I get one... I use a piece of wood with a small screw in it... I think the pencil would be better.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 10:29:00 PM »
The pencil really marks where you need to remove wood.

These things are really easy to make. Here is a how to tutorial.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000075

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©