Author Topic: Need Help Please  (Read 683 times)

Offline Clay Chapman

• Trad Bowhunter
Need Help Please
« on: January 30, 2009, 01:02:00 PM »
I have started my first bow, I am making a relex/ deflects longbow, with action boo core lams, zebra wood outers, purple heart inners, between clear glass. I have the riser glued up and its cut out, I got a good taper on it as I was told this was important. What I need to know is I'm betting ready to put it in the jig and was wanting to know

1. Is there _anything_!!! helpful to know when gluing up
2. Can somebody explain tillering in detail.
3. And the best way to avoid limb twist when gluing up, or how to correct it afterwards.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Offline KILLER B

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need Help Please
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 05:19:00 PM »
Never built a glass bow. If i were you right now there is alot of information to be read about the questions you are asking.  Look at some of the buildalongs.  Dick in seattle has just recently done a write of things he wished he had done differently and what worked well for him.  Looke back a few pages and read through those.  Also from what i have read over and over again the way to avoid twists in the glue up is to have a square form to start with.  Best of luck to you.
Sticks and stones break deer bones.
One final word -Ramalamashamjam-

Online PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 05:38:00 PM »
You could write a very large book answering those three questions Clay. A book or video on bow building would be a good bet.There may be some build alongs in the how to section.

I would suggest before glue up do a dry run to make sure everything fits the way it's supposed to. Things are really going to slip and slide when you put the glue to it.

If you are working off a set of plans most tillering in a glass bow is done before glue up with the tapers and afterwards with the shaping of the limbs.

Tillering short version is how,were and when the limb bends. How you arrive there will also take a very large book.

Two common reasons for limb twist is an out of square form and not following a true centerline with the layout of the limbs.

Good luck

Offline Pennsyltuckey pete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 10:11:00 PM »
Clay,

This may sound a little anal but before you glue up your bow check your form again, and again and again!  

First take a combination square and make sure the square is square. Then check your laminating surface for square the entire length.  it should be light tight every where.

Another check of the form is to eyeball it with a piece of carpet thread down the length.  Is there any bowing down the length?  if so, fix it.

Another check is to take your fingers and run them down the face of the laminating surface.  I can feel little waves and imperfections in the form that I cannot see.

After you are sure that the form is good walk away from it for a day and  then re check it.  I take a  longer time building my forms than it takes to build a bow.  Any imperfection in the form will be built in to every bow on it.

As far as the dry run.  do it.  every step of it! The dry run will get little kinks noticed like a big gap at the fade. A slight bow in the lamination...  You can't reshape once glue is involved.  

One trick I have started to avoid limb twists...  Some directions tell you to put the center line on the tape before the bow is glued up.  I did this the first few bows that I built and the limbs were always a scooch out.  Since then I have started laying out the centerline after the bow has been glued up.  This allows me to position the center in the actual center without the worry of shifting laminations during the glue up.  Yes they slip all over the place with the glue on.

Do not do a glue up when you would be rushed or pushed for time.  Haste makes a heck of a mess when dealing with a slipery set of limb laminations.  If you can get a second set of hands in for the dry runs and glue ups it really does help.  

I also use a checklist for the glue up to make sure I have everything I may need close at hand.  Things like paper towel, extra gloves, enough tape...pressure guage or extra rubber strips...  cover the details.  

Read some of the build alongs and learn from those that have gone before. Pay attention when you read something like, "I really had a problem..." Ask questions like you have!

Last know that every mistake that can be made has been made.

Tillering is after the limbs have been rough shaped.  easier done with pics for refrence.  

pete
Love one woman, Many Bows

Offline Clay Chapman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 09:38:00 AM »
THANKS GUYS THAT WAS A LOT OF GREAT INFORMATION, I really appreciate it, if anyone else has any info for a first time bow builder feel free to chime in.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©